Over 2,000 Goans repatriated amid COVID-19 pandemic: Official
State NRI commissioner Narendra Sawaikar said till date, 2,304 Goans employed on ships and 260 stranded in 31 countries have reached the coastal state.
A flight from Dubai under Vande Bharat Mission and 11 chartered flights with people employed on ships had landed in Goa since the COVID-19 outbreak and subsequent lockdown, he said.
As per the Union Ministry of Home Affairs' guidelines, people arriving from foreign countries have to be quarantined for seven days in a hotel after conducting COVID-19 test on them.
At least 31 hotels with 1,819 rooms were being used to quarantine people who had travelled to the state from foreign countries, Sawaikar said.According to official data, around 6,000-7,000 Goans working on ships wished to return to their home state because of the current health crisis. RPS ARU ARU
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- A second giant 'hole' has appeared on the sun, and it could send 1.8 million mph solar winds towards Earth
- We used ChatGPT to plan international trips - here’s a tour of the results!
- SpiceJet CMD Ajay Singh takes over as the president of industry body Assocham
- SEBI directs top 100 listed firms to clarify market rumours from Oct 1
- Net office leasing drops 34% in Jan-Mar to six-quarter low across top 7 cities: JLL India
- The Alpha Creators: Bank and IT stocks outperform Nifty50 in the last 11 years
- Microfinance lending shows strong growth in 2022, NBFC MFIs dominate the market