Pro-Kannada outfits to stage Karnataka bandh opposing Maratha board move on December 5 despite government warning

Pro-Kannada outfits to stage Karnataka bandh opposing Maratha board move on December 5 despite government warning
Karnataka Chief Minister B S YediyurappaBCCL
Despite government warning, pro-Kannada organisations on Friday decided to go ahead with the Karnataka Bandh on December 5 in protest against the formation of the Maratha Development Authority (MDA). Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa had on November 13 announced setting up the MDA, earmarking Rs 50 crore for the overall development of the Maratha population in the state.

The move was seen in some quarters as an attempt to woo the sizeable community members in Basavakalyan Assembly segment in Bidar district in north Karnataka and Belagavi Lok Sabha constituency bordering Maharashtra where by-elections are due.

The decision has not gone down well with several pro-Kannada organisations.

Advertisement
The consortium of the pro-Kannada organisations such as Kannada Chalavali Vatal Paksha (KCVP) and Karnataka Rakshana Vedike (Shivarame Gowda faction) passed a resolution opposing the government move and deciding to stage the bandh.

The Ola-Uber Drivers and Owners Association too has extended its support to the bandh.

In a statement, KCVP chief Vatal Nagaraj claimed support of the former chief of the Kannada Development Authority Mukhyamantri Chandru and former head of the Kannada Film Chamber of Commerce, Sa Ra Govindu, among others, for the consortium.

Advertisement

However, two other factions of Karnataka Rakshana Vedike belonging to T A Narayana Gowda and Praveen Shetty have said they would take a call only after discussing with their leaders.

As the matter snowballed into a controversy after his announcement, Yediyurappa clarified that he was only setting up the Maratha Development Authority and not the Marathi Development Authority.

He stated that Maratha community members are "staunch Hindutvavadis", many of whom need to be elevated socially and economically.

Advertisement
The Chief Minister had warned that he would not allow any 'forced bandh' on December 5.

"We will take strict action if the forced bandh is called," he had said.

SEE ALSO:
Mumbai’s massive power cut last month may have been the work of hackers

Vodafone Idea soars nearly 5% on fund infusion from Indus Towers stake sale

PUBG Mobile India was rumoured to launch today — but there is no official update from the company
{{}}