Hughes, ISRO launch satellite internet service in India as Musk's Starlink disappears
Hughes Communications India
The service aims to deliver high-speed broadband across the country, including in the most remote areas beyond the reach of terrestrial networks, thus connecting enterprise and government networks.
"At ISRO, we are committed to exploring and expanding the ways we can work with the private sector to help improve people's lives and bridge the digital divide," said Dr S Somnath, Secretary, Department of Space and Chairman, ISRO.
""With the new HTS capabilities powered by ISRO satellites, we are confident that HCI will continue to deliver excellent quality satellite broadband services and further enhance the connectivity experience that accelerates India's digital transformation," Somnath added.
HCI provides satellite broadband across more than 200,000 business and government sites in India, supporting enterprises as well as strategic central and state government projects.
In use on more than 75 satellites, the Hughes JUPITER System is the de facto standard for both high-throughput and conventional satellite implementations worldwide.
"Available countrywide, HTS broadband from Hughes underscores our longstanding commitment to bridging the digital divide, delivering multi-megabit high-speed broadband at affordable rates," said Partho Banerjee, president and managing director, HCI.
"This new broadband service will support the high-bandwidth requirements of government organisations, financial companies, cellular operators, mining and energy companies, among other businesses, large and small, helping to connect India to a limitless future,a he added.
The HTS broadband service from Hughes combines Ku-band capacity from ISRO's GSAT-11 and GSAT-29 satellites with Hughes JUPITER Platform ground technology to deliver high-speed broadband across India, including in the most remote areas beyond the reach of terrestrial networks.
The service supports applications such as Wi-Fi hotspots for community internet access; managed SD-WAN solutions; backhaul to extend mobile network reach; and satellite internet for small businesses.
AdvertisementSEE ALSO: These are the best and worst performing Nifty indices in 2022 so far
The story of a currency swap that showed the shockingly high spreads, commissions and omissions by an international bank
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Trump acted like 'the Godfather if it was reenacted by a 5-year-old' to try to keep his hands clean in Mar-a-Lago case: experts
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar