Kamala Devi Harris creates history as she takes oath as Vice President of USA
Kamala Devi Harrisis the first woman, first African-American and first Indian-American to become the Vice Presidentof the US.
- Harris was sworn in by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Latina woman.
- At 56, she also holds the possibility of running for office for the next term.
Harris was sworn in by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Latina woman to sit in the nation's apex court, shortly before Joe Biden was to be sworn-in as the
Kamala Devi Harris – a Black American, Asian American and a woman, will take her destined chair in the second highest office of the
AdvertisementHaving studied in the US, from Howard University and then UC Hastings College of the Law, Harris has been shattering glass ceilings from the get go. She was San Francisco's first female district attorney and also went on to become California's first woman of color to be elected attorney general.
Born to immigrant parents – an Indian-born mother and Jamaican-born father, Harris was born in Oakland, California. Even though she kept her roots in India alive and has visited the country several times, Harris’s cancer researcher and activist mother Shyamala Gopalan had adopted Oakland's black culture.
In her memoir ‘The Truths We Had’, Harris has referred to her journey as the ‘American dream’. “a place where people believed in the most basic tenet of the American Dream: that if you worked hard and do right by the world, your kids will be better of than you were,” she wrote about the place she grew up in.
With inputs from IANS
Indigo Paints’ ₹1,000 crore IPO is a hit even before it opened for subscription— here’s why
Jack Ma resurfaces – Alibaba founder makes his first public appearance after he was feared to be “missing” for nearly two months
Best smartphone deals and offers on Amazon Great Republic Day Sale
- No offline exams up to Class 8 in Delhi govt schools
- CBSE board reduces syllabus for Class 10 social science exam
- 3rd Test: Axar Patel takes six wickets as India bowl out England for 112
- Promises made in Rajasthan govt budget will be fulfilled by robust financial management: CM Gehlot
- On his 100th test, Ishant Sharma is only next to Kapil Dev among Indian fast bowlers