The best dog dewormers
- The best dewormer for dogs should treat four of the most common intestinal parasites in dogs, and it should be easy to administer.
- Guaranteed to treat multiple species of hookworm, roundworm, tapeworm, and whipworm, Safe-Guard 4 Canine Dewormer is our top pick for the best dog dewormer overall.
Intestinal parasites are extremely common in dogs of all ages, and most can't be seen with the naked eye, which means you might not know if your dog is infected.
Four different types of worms commonly infect dogs and puppies: roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms, and whipworms. Puppies are also commonly infected with a single-cell intestinal parasite known as coccidian. Adult dogs can become infected with coccidia as well, but many dogs develop an immunity to these parasites.
Dogs can become infected with intestinal parasites in different ways. Puppies often become infected with roundworms prior to birth or when nursing from their mother. Tapeworms can be transmitted if a dog swallows an infected flea (treating flea infestations goes hand in hand with treating tapeworm infections). Dogs can pick up hookworms and whipworms from their environment, often from the feces of infected dogs, or contaminated soil or water.
Some of the most common symptoms of worms in dogs included digestive upset (vomiting or diarrhea), gas, bloated belly (pot-bellied appearance), increased appetite, unexplained weight loss, weakness, and bloody stool or diarrhea. In puppies especially, intestinal parasite infections can cause anemia and poor growth.
If you suspect that your dog might have worms, bring him to the veterinarian for a physical exam and fecal test. Treatment is generally easy with over-the-counter dewormers for dogs. Some worms can be transmitted to humans (children are especially vulnerable), so it's important to keep your dog parasite free.
When choosing a dewormer for dogs, you need to know what type of worms your dog has, which is why the veterinary exam is so important. You can purchase a dewormer for specific types of worms, or you can choose a broad-spectrum product that kills many different types of worms. Dewormers for dogs come in several forms including tablets, granules, powders, and liquids, so talk to your veterinarian about the option that is best for your dog. Once you know what kind of dewormer you need, take a look at our top picks for the best non-prescription dewormer for dogs.
Here are the best dog dewormers you can buy:
- Best dog dewormer overall: Excel Safe-Guard 4 Canine Dewormer
- Best liquid dog dewormer: Nemex 2 Liquid Dewormer for Dogs
- Best dewormer for puppies: Bayer Quad Dewormer Chewable Tablets for Puppies and Small Dogs
- Best dewormer for small dogs: Sentry HC WormX Plus 7-Way Dewormer
- Best dewormer for large dogs: Durvet Triple Wormer for Medium and Large Dogs
You can purchase syndication rights to this story here.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The best dog dewormer overall
The best liquid dewormer for dogs
The best dewormer for puppies
The best dewormer for small dogs
The best dewormer for large dogs
- Domestic occupiers keep office space demand high in 2023
- Nifty, Sensex bounce back on Friday but experts see resistance at higher levels
- Temperature's Toll: Hospitals see a surge in drug and alcohol abuse-related visits on hotter nights, study reveals
- Passive flows account for 42% of foreign capital flows in 2023
- Explained: How Covid-19 heightens risk of heart attack, stroke