What Kim Jong Un's outrageous outfits tell us about his dynasty, his status - and even his attitude toward the US
KCNA via Reuters
- Kim Jong Un's fashion choices give insight into the North Korean leader's self-perception, relationship with adversaries, and changes in North Korea.
- Kim has favored Mao suits similar to those worn by his grandfather, the country's first leader.
- "Kim Jong Un's got some cool clothes. If he were from America, he would be one of these fellas we see in Portland, in Brooklyn, one of these hipster guys. He's into the vintage look and I don't blame him," one analyst told Insider.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
Kim Jong Un came to power in 2011 after a lifetime spent sequestered in a plush Pyongyang compound and as an anonymous schoolboy in Switzerland. From his child-sized general's uniform to a daring black leather trench coat, Kim's sartorial decisions often convey how he sees himself, his leadership, and his place in the world.He bears more than a passing resemblance to his grandfather, Kim Il Sung, the first leader of North Korea - a fact many analysts believe he plays up for his benefit, wearing 1950s-style eyeglasses and Mao suits to heighten the resemblance.
Much has been made of photos of Kim Jong Un in a tiny military uniform as a young child.
Kim Jong Un spent some of his childhood in Switzerland with an aunt and uncle, going to school, where no one knew that he was actually part of the Kim dynasty.Advertisement
Kim Jong Un assumed the leadership of North Korea when he was fairly young — about 27 years old. But he was already favoring the mature styles of his grandfather, Kim Il Sung.
In photos of Kim Jong Un at Mt. Paektu, the legendary location of Kim Il Sung's fight against Japanese forces, Kim Jong Un's wife Ri Su Jol wears a rather casual look.Advertisement
"Kim Jong Un and his clothes are showing changing social values," Madden told Insider.
- Everybody in India must get Covid vaccine free, says Kejriwal
- Samsung now lets you buy up to four products in one single EMI as it seeks to boost sales this festive season
- Equitas Small Finance Bank IPO allotment: Here’s how to check share allotment status
- K'taka healthcare warriors first to get Covid vaccine: Minister
- Cong, BJP in K'taka cross swords over vaccine promise