Woman dies as 70 people attempted the swim around the San Diego-Mexico border fence at night, authorities say
- Approximately 70 people tried to swim into the US, around a border fence in the Pacific, authorities say.
- A woman, believed to be from the group of swimmers, was pronounced dead.
One woman died and 36 Mexican nationals were detained after approximately 70 people tried to swim around a border fence in the Pacific that separates Tijuana and
A large group of people attempted to illegally enter the US from Tijuana by swimming around the border barrier and to the beach at Border Field State Park in San Diego on Friday night, the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said in a statement.
Paramedics were called after
Agents performed CPR on the woman while waiting for firefighters and lifeguards, the CBP said. She was pronounced dead by emergency medical services within an hour.
Border patrol agents later took a total of 36 Mexican nationals - 25 men and 11 women - into custody and transported them to a nearby Border Patrol station for processing, the CPB said.
The 300-foot section of fencing is one of the most closely watched parts of the southern border, according to The New York Times.
In the last 12 months, Insider previously reported, the United States has recorded the most illegal border crossings since records began in 1960.
"This is yet another example of the ruthless tactics smuggling organizations use to bolster their power and profits," said the San Diego sector's chief patrol agent Aaron Heitke. "We will work tirelessly to pursue and bring to justice those responsible for this tragedy."
- Congress 'hand' stops BRS 'car' in Telangana, Revanth Reddy leads in Kamareddy seat as KCR trails
- Santa Claus Rally may hit markets early as BJP storms to power in Hindi Heartland
- Assembly results: BJP leading in 54 seats in Chhattisgarh
- BJP leading in 155 of 230 seats in Madhya Pradesh, Congress ahead in 72
- Rajasthan assembly polls: BJP surges ahead of Congress to take lead