Kanye West wore ripped jeans and a sparkly denim jacket to fashion's biggest event of the year
But he really outdid himself on this year's Met Gala red carpet. The theme for the annual charity event, which supports the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, was "Manus x Machina: Fashion In An Age Of Technology."
For Kanye, that apparently meant blue contacts, ripped jeans, and a sparkly metallic-looking denim jacket - all by his favorite fashion house, Balmain.
Let's say this first: as a whole, Kanye's outfit is not bad. It's adventurous, sure, but in that "he's taking risks and they're not all working" and not the "what a disaster" way.
Unfortunately for the "Life of Pablo" rapper, the Met Gala is a black-tie event. That means tuxedos, or since it's a relatively fashion-forward event, something that at least approximates it.
Last year at the gala Kanye did great with a black velvet number, and while we weren't quite sure what exactly to call the garment, it at least looked appropriate.
This year, it looks like Kanye forgot he was going to a black-tie event altogether and just showed up in something he might wear on the street.
What can you learn from this? That it doesn't matter how cool and fashion-forward your outfit is - if it's completely wrong for the event, it's just wrong.
We're big fans of adhering to strict dress codes, and unfortunately Kanye's outfit just doesn't fit into the strict Met Gala guidelines.
If you're Kanye, you can get away with pretty much everything. But that doesn't mean you should.
Kanye:- Yoshimi (@ryonsrackie) May 3, 2016
*light white tee*
ok I'm ready
- I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report
- Best smartphones under ₹40,000 in India