Nike has a secret to get you to spend more money
One of these tricks? Add thumbholes, industry website Sole Collector reports.
"You have this belief, and you price it at what you believe the consumer will pay," Jeanne Jackson, Nike's president of distribution and merchandising, said at the company's investor meeting.
"We're getting a little bit more scientific about it. We're spending time doing deep analysis. We recently just did one on shorts, where we literally looked at every short in our competitive space, did price value equity studies with the consumers, had them tell us what do you think this one's worth versus this one, what details on the shorts - make it worth more," she added. "An interesting one on tops is we suddenly discovered in tops that if a top has a thumbhole in it, the consumer perceives it is a premium top. So we're getting a little bit more scientific about what those features and benefits are that the consumer will perceive as worth more money."
The thumbhole philosophy may seem mockable, but this strategy is obviously working.
Nike is the top apparel company in the United States. It has bypassed former teen staple Abercrombie & Fitch to become the most loved brand by teens, according to a recent survey executed by Piper Jaffray.
Another trick up Nike's sleeve? Having the most advanced technology. In September, the company introduced its new cold weather line, as well as new apparel with cooling technology.
Quite simply, no retailer has caught up to Nike - yet.
NOW WATCH: 11 little-known facts about Nike
- Gautam Adani, the man who may soon be Asia's richest person, is a college dropout who survived the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks and says he was once kidnapped for ransom
- EY is offering scholarships to Indian college students worth ₹1 lakh with two months’ internship opportunity
- A man had severe, day-long migraines for 12 years and nothing worked. His doctors say they vanished after they prescribed leafy greens and cutting out red meat.
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days
- Over a million Ethereum tokens have been burned since the big upgrade, but transaction costs are still a pain point for the network
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- McDonalds India launches a contemporary rendition and continuation story of memorable campaign ‘Hum dono boyfriend-girlfriend hai kya’
- India to resume scheduled international flights from December 15, says Aviation Ministry