Trump says he'll no longer host the G7 at his Doral resort due to 'Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility'
- President Donald Trump announced via tweet on Saturday that he will no longer host the 2020 G7 Summit at his Doral resort in Florida.
- He blamed the media and Democrats for their outrage over the Trump administration's decision to host the international political event at one of Trump's properties.
- The decision sparked an uproar from Trump critics and ethics experts, who argued that Trump was violating the Constitution's emoluments clause and essentially awarding a contract to himself.
- "Based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020," he tweeted.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump tweeted Saturday that his administration will no longer seek to host the 2020 G7 Summit at one of his Florida properties, following days of backlash over the controversial decision."I thought I was doing something very good for our Country by using Trump National Doral, in Miami, or hosting the G-7 Leaders," he wrote, going on to chastise the media and Democrats for the firestorm of criticism around his decision.Advertisement
"Therefore, based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020. We will begin the search for another site, including the possibility of Camp David, immediately. Thank you!" he wrote.
The White House had announced Thursday that the US would host the summit at Trump's Doral Resort. Chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told press that the Trump administration had reviewed a number of locations but decided that Doral would be ideal.The decision sparked an uproar from Trump critics and ethics experts, who argued that Trump was violating the Constitution's emoluments clause and essentially awarding a contract to himself and stood to profit massively from hosting the international political event at his own property.
He continued: "Would set up better than other alternatives. I announced that I would be willing to do it at NO PROFIT or, if legally permissible, at ZERO COST to the USA. But, as usual, the Hostile Media & their Democrat Partners went CRAZY!"
- Samsung confirms 'Galaxy Unpacked' flagship launch on August 5
- Rupee slips 5 paise to 74.98 against US dollar in early trade
- Gaana creates a space on its platform for User Generated Content called ‘HotShots’
- Instagram begins testing 'Shops' feature with select users
- Man who returned from India, tested positive for COVID-19 escapes isolation to go shopping in NZ