A 3-step guide for losing thigh fat and getting slim legs, according to personal trainers
- To lose thigh fat you'll need to eat healthily, do cardio, and build thigh
- Strengthening thigh muscles through sumo and goblet squats can give them a slimmer appearance.
- Also, focus on forms of cardio that engage your thighs like running.
It's normal to have fat on your body, and it's nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed by. In fact, body fat is crucial for our
View all Offers
Dettol Original Germ Protection Bathing Soap bar, 125 gm, Buy 4 Get 1 Free₹ 220Buy On
Dettol Original Germ Protection Liquid Handwash Refill, 1500ml (Price Off)₹ 208Buy On
Mamaearth Onion Hair Fall Shampoo for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control, with Onion Oil & Plant Keratin 250ml₹ 349Buy On
- 30% OFF
Pampers All round Protection Pants, Large size baby diapers (LG) 64 Count, Anti Rash diapers, Lotion with Aloe Vera₹ 801₹ 1149Buy On
Mamaearth Onion Oil for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control with Redensyl 150ml₹ 399Buy On
1. Eat a healthy dietRelated Article Module: 6 easy ways to start eating healthy, according to dietitians
To lose thigh fat, you'll have to follow a healthy diet, which is imperative for weight loss, says Jessica Mazzucco, a certified
There isn't one particular diet that is best for losing thigh fat, but in general, reducing consumption of refined carbohydrates and added sugars aids in weight loss, Mazzucco says. Refined carbs and added sugars are those found in processed foods, like baked goods, frozen meals, and potato chips.
To eat a healthy diet focus on consuming mostly:
- Fruits and vegetables, which are low in calories and high in fiber, meaning they keep you fuller longer so you consume fewer calories overall.
- Lean sources of protein, like beans, eggs, and chicken breast, can also help fill you up and build muscle.
- Whole grains, like brown rice and whole-wheat bread or pasta.
- Low-fat dairy products, like milk, yogurt, and cheese.
2. Do cardioCardio is a great way to lose fat in all areas of the body, including your legs, Mazzucco says. Cardio exercises burn a lot of calories, which can help you stay in a calorie deficit. While long-distance running and cycling can help you lose weight, shorter periods of intense exercises like high-intensity interval training (HIIT) or sprinting can be just as effective at reducing body fat. These types of workouts also boost your metabolism so your body continues to burn calories even when you're finished sweating.
In fact, a small 2014 study examined how effective sprint intervals were on reducing fat mass in women aged 22 to 27. Participants who completed six weeks of sprint interval training on a treadmill three times a week lost an average of 8% body fat.
Another small 2010 study found indoor cycling helped participants lose weight without reducing calorie intake. Participants engaged in indoor cycling three times a week for 12 weeks and experienced a 3.2% reduction in body weight and a 5% reduction in fat mass.Note: Exactly how often you should do cardio to lose weight depends on your individual goals, Mazzucco says. But in general, adults should do at least 30 minutes of cardio five days a week for overall health.
3. Tone your legs
Building muscle through strength training can help you lose fat all over your body, including your thighs, and strengthening your legs can also give them a more lean and toned appearance, says Andy Stern, a certified personal trainer and founder of Rumble, a boxing gym that provides group fitness classes.
In fact, a 2018 study examined the effects of resistance training and calorie reduction on fat loss. Participants were divided into three groups - one that focused on diet changes only, one that focused on strength training only, and one that did both. All three groups lost body fat over four months, but only the resistance training groups increased lean muscle mass.To strengthen your thighs, Stern recommends:
1. Sumo squats
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than your hips.
- Bend at the knees and push your hips back, keeping your chest up.
- Do three to four sets of eight to 15 reps.
2. Curtsy lunges
- Stand with your feet hip-distance apart.
- Put one foot behind the other and bend knees into a lunge.
- Hover your knee just above the floor.
- Return to standing.
- Do three sets of 15 reps.
3. Goblet squats
- Hold the kettlebell in front of you with both hands and stand with your feet slightly wider than your hips.
- Bend your knees and lower your body as far as you can in a squat position.
- Return to standing
- Do three to four sets of 12 to 15 reps.
If you're looking to lose inner thigh fat, your goal should be to reduce body fat overall since you can't spot reduce. To lose thigh fat and tone your legs, focus on eating a healthy diet, doing cardio three days a week, and strength training three to four days a week.How long it might take to notice a difference in your leg strength and appearance depends on individual factors, but in general, most people will notice a difference within one to three months, Mazzucco says. How to get abs fast: The 3-step guide to building a six pack, according to personal trainers How to lose weight and keep it off with the right diet and mindset The muscles that running works - and how to protect them from injury Should you bike or run? Which is best for weight loss, strengthening muscles, and preventing injuries
- Weekend watch list for OTT — Fahadh Faasil’s Malik to Farhan Akhtar’s Toofan and more
- Reliance Retail surprises all by more than doubling its net profit in the last three months
- Reliance Jio adds 42 million subscribers but the average revenue is pretty much the same
- YES Bank’s net profit grows four fold as provision for bad loans shrink
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on headphones