Both aspirin and Tylenol manage pain - here's when to take each of them and why
aspirinand Tylenolare frequently used for pain relief and fever reduction, but aspirin has anti-inflammatory properties that Tylenol does not.
- Though aspirin is approved for use in children older than three, parents should use caution when giving it to children or teenagers.
- Tylenol is more dangerous than aspirin in excess, as taking too much can damage the liver and cause a variety of symptoms.
Most people who have sought pain relief are familiar with both aspirin and Tylenol, but there are important differences between the two.
- Aspirin - also sold under brand names such as Bayer and Bufferin - is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that blocks certain enzymes in your body that are activated by tissue damage and cause pain, swelling and inflammation.
- Tylenol - also known by its generic name acetaminophen - is an analgesic, which is a class of medication specifically for pain relief.
"With both aspirin and Tylenol, very frequently we think of using them for pain relief and fever," says Suzanne Nesbit, clinical pharmacy and pain management specialist at Johns Hopkins Medicine. "However, aspirin has anti-inflammatory properties that Tylenol does not."Here are the details on each medication, the risks, and what each is best used for.
What is aspirin?Aspirin is a common over the counter medication. Uses for aspirin include:
- Headache relief
- Toothache relief
- Treat menstrual pain
- Reduce fever
- Prescribed in low doses that may help prevent heart attack and ischemic stroke
A typical dose is one or two 325 mg tablets every four to six hours.Parents should use caution when giving aspirin to children or teenagers for fever or pain. Though it is approved for use in children older than 3 years old, kids recovering from chickenpox or flu-like symptoms should never take aspirin because there is a low risk they could develop Reye's syndrome, a rare disorder that can cause serious liver and brain damage.
People should not take aspirin if they have an allergy to it or salicylates, chemicals found in plants that are an ingredient in aspirin and other pain-relieving medications. Also, avoid aspirin if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe liver or kidney disease, certain stomach conditions such as a history of gastric or duodenal ulcers, or a bleeding disorder. Because aspirin can act as a blood thinner, it may put people with these conditions at risk of additional bleeding.There are 47 major drug interactions with aspirin including ibuprofen, which is in Advil and Motrin.
What is Tylenol?Like aspirin, Tylenol is an over the counter medication recommended to treat pain from headaches, menstrual cramps, and toothaches. Unlike aspirin, Tylenol is generally safe for use in healthy children of all ages who are not allergic to it, just in lower doses.
The typical dosage of Tylenol for adults is two 325 mg pills every 4 to 6 hours.
While too much aspirin can make you sick, Tylenol is even more dangerous in excess. Taking too much
Aspirin vs. Tylenol
Though the medications have many overlapping uses, sometimes one is more useful than the other for a given ailment. This guide lays out each one's strengths and some common use comparisons, according to Nesbit:
|Aspirin (Bayer)||Tylenol (acetaminophen)|
|Headache relief||Yes, but not as effective||Yes|
|Menstrual cramp treatment||Yes||Yes|
|Heart attack and stroke prevention||Yes||No|
|Use in children||No||Yes|
|Arthritis||Yes, but not as safe long-term||Yes|
Both aspirin and Tylenol are effective against aches, pains, and fever. Tylenol has the advantage of being more generally safe for children, but it can also be more harmful in high doses. Aspirin has the benefit of potentially helping to prevent stroke and heart attack."In general, these medications can be used safely and are available over the counter," says Nesbit.
Related articles from Health Reference:
- Why getting a daith piercing likely won't help your migraines, despite popular claims
- Aspirin vs. ibuprofen: The key differences and which one you should take
- How to recognize the symptoms of magnesium deficiency and effectively treat it
- Antibiotics treat infections by either killing or sterilizing bacteria
- You can't get the flu from the flu shot, but there are side effects
- 5-star rating refrigerator (fridge) in India
- Best soundbar with Dolby Atmos in India 2021
- Best soundbars with a wireless subwoofer
- Myntra signs up Hrithik Roshan, Vijay Deverakonda and Dulquer Salmaan as its newest brand ambassadors
- Google is now using Chrome as an added security layer for account sign-ins