Israel has reported its first COVID-19 case involving a 'worrying' new coronavirus variant that's spreading fast in southern Africa
Israelhas reported its first COVID-19case involving a "worrying" new coronavirusvariant.
- The B.1.1.529 variant was detected in a person traveling to Israel from Malawi, the Israeli
Two other people who have returned from abroad could also be carrying the coronavirus variant, the ministry said. They have been put in quarantine, the ministry said.
Health officials in
The variant has a high number of mutations in a combination that experts haven't seen before, per Insider's report.
The B.1.1.529 variant has spread rapidly across South Africa, becoming the most common cause of new COVID-19 cases in fewer than two weeks, according to a graph tweeted by the director of the country's Centre for Epidemic Response and Innovation.
Ravi Gupta, a professor of clinical microbiology at Cambridge University, said on Twitter on Wednesday that the new coronavirus variant was "worrying, and I've not said that since Delta."
Israel has reported more than 1.3 million COVID-19 cases and over 8,000 deaths since January 2020, according to data from the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Corbevax price slashed to ₹250 per dose inclusive of GST
- IT professionals with 5-10 year experience are the best paid people in India
- Best toy bikes to keep your kids engaged
- New Range Rover Sport revealed in India— check features, specifications and more here
- Three new IPOs opening this week — Paradeep Phosphates, Ethos, eMudhra while LIC to list on exchanges tomorrow