Signs you may have a caffeine sensitivity and alternative ways to boost energy
Caffeinesensitivity causes people to feel the effects of caffeine much more intensely.
- Symptoms of caffeine sensitivity include headaches, insomnia, anxiety, and jitters.
- Alternatives to caffeine are eating a healthy snack, exercising, and drinking enough water.
If just one cup of
Here's what you need to know about the causes of caffeine sensitivity, its symptoms, and how to treat it.
Understanding caffeine sensitivityCaffeine sensitivity is when you feel the impact of caffeine quickly or when consuming very little.
Genetics is one of the main reasons for caffeine sensitivity. An enzyme in your liver is responsible for 95% of the body's metabolization of caffeine. Two forms of this enzyme exist, and carriers for one version may metabolize caffeine slower, thus experiencing its effects for longer.Additionally, receptors in your brain may have an easier time sticking to caffeine molecules, says Jenna Liphart Rhoads, PhD, a registered nurse, and nurse educator at Nurse Together.
Other causes of caffeine sensitivity
- Age: In a 2017 study, instances of caffeine-induced insomnia - when consuming too much caffeine interferes with sleep - increased with age, suggesting caffeine sensitivity in elderly people.
- Medications: Taking the medication Theophylline or the herbal supplement Echinacea can increase the effects of caffeine.
- Pregnancy: As your pregnancy progresses your body's ability to metabolize coffee decreases between 30% and 70%.
- Tolerance: If you have had little or no exposure to caffeine, you will likely be more sensitive to its effects.
Symptoms of caffeine sensitivity
Signs of caffeine sensitivity range from minor irritations to dangerous developments. According to Rhoads, symptoms of caffeine sensitivity include:
Can you get rid of a caffeine sensitivity?
The answer to whether or not you can get rid of a caffeine sensitivity depends on what caused it.
"If caused by genetics, there is no way to change a caffeine sensitivity. Sometimes consistent caffeine intake will cause the body to become more caffeine tolerant," says Clair. "Most evidence on this is anecdotal, but many people report an increase in tolerance with increased caffeine usage."However, if you experience severe side effects of caffeine, trying to push a tolerance can be dangerous.
"Avoidance is recommended if there are other health effects present such as high blood pressure or anxiety. Caffeine usage is largely recommended on an individual basis," says Clair.
General advice: Overall, the FDA recommends consuming no more than 400 mg of caffeine per day - the equivalent of about four cups of coffee.If you have a caffeine sensitivity, you should also avoid foods with caffeine. While caffeine content is often not mentioned on the label, a quick search of specific foods should provide you with the quantity. Foods containing caffeine include chocolate and certain protein bars.
Caffeine alternativesTo limit your caffeine intake, try these caffeine substitutes that will boost your energy:
- Eat a snack, specifically one with a healthy carbohydrate paired with fat or protein, like nuts, which will provide a steady flow of energy and keep you satisfied.
- Exercise, which can elevate mood and help you sleep better
- Drink water, dehydration can cause fatigue.
A person may have caffeine sensitivity due to genetics, age, medications, or pregnancy. Symptoms of caffeine sensitivity include headaches, anxiety, restlessness, and an elevated heartbeat. If you experience intense symptoms, avoiding caffeine may help, but a nutritionist can provide individual care.
Related articles from Health Reference:
- Why coffee can be a good drink for weight loss - and how to drink it to help you lose weight
- What happens when you eat too much protein, and how much is healthy
- How to follow an intermittent fasting schedule with 6 different methods
- Yes, eggs can help you lose weight - here's how to eat them as part of a healthy diet
- 6 easy ways to start eating healthy, according to dietitians
- PL 2021: Here’s a look at how Punjab Kings vs CSK play against each other
- Goa and Gurugram recorded highest single day of covid 19 cases today
- Wipro fears it may lose its employees to competitors as there is an explosion of IT jobs
- Citibank to exit consumer banking business in India
- Checkout what is allowed and what is not in the new guidelines issued by the Delhi government