Jeff Bezos suggests sending Donald Trump into space
Spencer Platt/Getty Images
"Finally trashed by @realDonaldTrump. Will still reserve him a seat on the Blue Origin rocket," wrote Bezos, who had only tweeted three times before.
He included a "#sendDonaldtospace" hashtag and a promotional video of a rocket landing from Blue Origin, his private space company.
On Monday morning, Trump fired off a string of tweets criticizing Bezos, a fellow billionaire, for supposedly having Amazon use The Washington Post as a "tax shelter" for the company. Bezos bought The Post in 2003.
"The @washingtonpost, which loses a fortune, is owned by @JeffBezos for purposes of keeping taxes down at his no profit company, @amazon," Trump wrote.
"The @washingtonpost loses money (a deduction) and gives owner @JeffBezos power to screw public on low taxation of @Amazon! Big tax shelter," he continued. "If @amazon ever had to pay fair taxes, its stock would crash and it would crumble like a paper bag. The @washingtonpost scam is saving it!"
But a number of economic experts and finance reporters said Trump's accusation made no sense. Trump's attack was apparently in response to one or more articles in The Post that were critical of his campaign.
View Bezos' response below:
Disclosure: Jeff Bezos is an investor in Business Insider through hispersonal investment company Bezos Expeditions.
- A massive study from Israel suggests older adults were far less likely to develop severe COVID-19 after a booster shot, but the finding carries major limitations
- Everything you need to know about iOS 15: Release date, new features, supported devices
- Watch SpaceX launch 4 space tourists into Earth's orbit
- Ajay Devgn performs his iconic stunt for Mahindra FURIO 7 range
- Sensex tops 59,000 mark; Telecom stocks soar
- Investors' interest in Indian SaaS continues as Bidgely bags $26 million from US-based firms
- After selling their previous startup to Quikr, Zefo founders are building an OYO for hospitals
- Disha Patani to be the face of mobile accessories brand Ambrane