The rise and fall of Marissa Mayer, from the once-beloved CEO of Yahoo to a $4.48 billion sale to Verizon
AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau
Hopes were high when Marissa Mayer was hired as CEO of Yahoo in 2012. People thought she would turn around the perennially dysfunctional internet giant.Five years years later, and Mayer's time at Yahoo was marred by slowing growth and internal dissent, leading to plummeting employee morale and calls for her resignation. Plus, under her watch, Yahoo experienced historically large security breaches that placed millions of customers at risk.
We went through a bunch of recent news stories and Nicholas Carlson's book - "Marissa Mayer and the Fight to Save Yahoo!" - to put together the story of Mayer's epic rise to become one of the biggest Silicon Valley power players, and her sudden fall from grace.This is an update to a story originally written by Eugene Kim.
Get the latest Alibaba stock price here.
- OPINION: “I would bet on Novovax,” a doctor’s take on how to make the COVID-19 vaccine jabs more effective
- Aishwarya Pissay, a champion motorcyclist, describes what it takes to ace the circuit
- Mandatory 14-days quarantine for Delhi residents returning from Kumbh Mela, says Delhi Disaster Management Authority
- Check out the youngest players in IPL 2021
- JEE Mains entrance exam postponed amid surge in COVID-19 cases