Telugu, Bengali and Tamil are the fastest growing foreign languages in the United States
- A report by the Centre of Immigration Studies shows that the number of Telugu-speaking residents has grown by 86% over the past 7 years.
Bengalicomes in second, followed by Tamilin third place with an increase of 57% and 55% respectively.
Hindimade into the top five with a 42% increase.
Aside from Telugu, eight of the 10 fastest growing foreign languages in the United States are languages that are also spoken in India. Bengali and Tamil showed a growth of 57% and 55% respectively as the second and third most rapidly growing foreign languages.
And while Telegu may be the
It’s also interesting to note that the overall growth in the number of people speaking foreign languages in the United States has grown by 12%. That being said, that are instances of languages like German, Polish and Italian having recorded negative growth.
The numbers game
According to data collected by the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations, United States has normally been the most popular or the second most popular destination for Indian migrants. This is especially true for students pursuing higher education.
And, a report by Quartz points out that the largest number of engineers sent from India to the United States were from the Telugu-speaking city of Hyderabad.
In fact, India has the second-highest number of students going abroad for studies, after China. And it’s not just the United States. India consistently records the largest number of citizens living abroad. In 2017, that number was at 17 million.
The language graph
The American states of Washington D.C., Wyoming and North Dakota have recorded the highest percentage of growth of foreign language speaking residents, while Maine, South Dakota and New Mexico exhibited negative growth.
AdvertisementBut, in terms of overall numbers, California has the largest proportion of foreign language speaking citizens will 44% of people speaking a language other than English at home.
(Image source: Earth Observatory/NASA)
Popular on BI
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- Ambati Rayudu announces retirement from IPL
- Data protection bill to drive deep behavioural changes for platforms exploiting data: Chandrasekhar
- MS Dhoni set to play 250th IPL match of his career
- Samsung Galaxy A34 5G review: A Mid-range marvel
- 10 ways to reduce your home loan EMI burden