The best moisturizers you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Everyone wants healthy, smooth, and soft skin. Dry skin not only looks dull and flaky, it also feels tight and itchy.
- The solution? A good moisturizer.
- Our favorite moisturizer for both face and body is the CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, but we've also chosen our best picks for different budgets, skin types, and needs.
Even if you have extremely oily skin, you need a moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated, healthy, and balanced.
Moisturizers help skin retain its moisture barrier, which is the outer layer of the skin called the stratum corneum. When viewed through a microscope, it looks somewhat like a brick wall, with dead cells making up the bricks and lipids - the primary three naturally found in skin are fatty acids, cholesterol, and ceramides - making up the mortar. Skin that is excessively dry loses these lipids, weakening the skin's defense mechanisms and opening it up to irritation, damage, and a flaky, dull appearance.
On the most basic level, moisturizers help heal dry skin by attracting and sealing in water, thus replenishing what is lost to the atmosphere. Choosing the right moisturizer, though, can be an exercise in frustration. The typical drugstore has hundreds of moisturizing products on the shelves, all claiming to improve your skin.
Luckily, we're here to help. We sorted through the seemingly endless drugstore moisturizers, tested them ourselves, and found the ones most recommended for a wide range of skin types, budgets, and needs.
Here are the top moisturizers you can buy:
- The best moisturizer overall: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
- The best facial moisturizer for under $25: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
- The best drugstore facial moisturizer for oily skin: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat
- The best inexpensive organic facial moisturizer: Pacifica Coconut Probiotic Water Rehab Cream
- The best drugstore body moisturizer for very dry skin: Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Repair Unscented Lotion
- The best inexpensive moisturizer for very sensitive skin: Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream
- The best moisturizer with clean ingredients: Nécessaire Body Lotion
- The best antiaging facial moisturizer for less than $25: Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream
- The best drugstore hand cream: Aveeno Active Naturals Skin Relief Hand Cream
Updated 6/7/2019 by Jada Wong: Updated copy, formatting, prices, links, and added Nécessaire Body Lotion as our pick for best moisturizer with clean ingredients.
Keep reading to learn more about all our picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.