Better.com CEO accused hundreds of the 900 people he laid off on Zoom of 'stealing' by working only 2 hours daily
- The CEO of
Better.com, a digital mortgagecompany, laid off more than 900 employees over Zoom last week.
- He accused "at least 250" terminated staffers of working just two hours a day, Fortune reported.
Vishal Garg, the founder and CEO of the digital mortgage company Better.com,
"You guys know that at least 250 of the people terminated were working an average of 2 hours a day while clocking in 8 hours+ a day in the payroll system? They were stealing from you and stealing from our customers who pay the bills that pay our bills. Get educated," Garg wrote, according to a Blind post viewed by Fortune.
Garg confirmed with Fortune that he was behind the Blind message, adding, "I think they could have been phrased differently, but honestly the sentiment is there." Insider has also reached out to Better for any additional comment.
Leading up to the layoffs, Better reviewed individual
Shortly after the Better.com CEO laid off hundreds of employees, Garg addressed the company in a livestreamed town hall. He laid out a vision of what he called "Better 2.0," with a "leaner, meaner, hungrier workforce," according to a leaked recording of the meeting shared with Insider.
He said he hoped to grow Better
"If you felt in the past that people weren't looking — well, everyone is looking now," Garg said in the meeting.
In an interview with Fortune, Garg said terminated employees who feel they "actually had great performance" should reach out to the company.
Do you work at Better? Do you have a story to share about working there or insight into its layoffs? Contact reporter Alex Nicoll via encrypted messaging app Signal at +1 (646) 768-4772 using a non-work phone, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Twitter DM at @AlexONicoll.
- A student who accidentally became a millionaire with a cult following after selling his expressionless selfies as NFTs says he feels confused
- Internship at Bureau of Police Research & Development: Checkout all the details including last date, eligibility and stipend
- One of the largest cryptocurrency swapping platforms just lost $1.3 million as users failed to update approvals
- Fortune oil maker Adani Wilmar is looking to acquire southern players in edible oil, FMCG industry
- After 10-minute grocery delivery, a 15-minute ambulance service grabs investor interest
- Decentralised file sharing, movie streaming, and much more — these are top five Web3 cryptocurrencies to keep an eye on in 2022
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter