Sundar Pichai gets a spot in Time's 2020 'influential' list and generous praise from Jamie Dimon
Alphabetand Sundar Pichaihas been named as one of the most influential people in TIME magazine’s 2020 list.
- Born in India’s Madurai, Pichai rose through the ranks in Google to become the company’s CEO in 2015.
- JPMorgan Chase’s CEO
Jamie Dimonshowered praise on Pichai, saying he ‘represents the best of what we aspire for our society’.
- Check out the latest news and updates on Business Insider.
Showering praise on Pichai, Dimon said, “Sundar Pichai’s uniquely American story—emigrating from India as a young adult and working his way to become CEO of a $1 trillion corporation—represents the best of what we aspire for our society.”
“The challenges Sundar faces in his role are among the most important of our time — issues of innovation, privacy, regulation and competition. But his analytical, humble and inclusive leadership will position Google to meet the moment,” he added.
AdvertisementDimon is not alone in recognizing Pichai’s humbleness. The list includes Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, his peers at Microsoft, Salesforce, Twitter, LinkedIn have all hailed him.
His colleagues, too, have great things to say about him – everyone that Business Insider talked to about Pichai said he’s very empathetic and that he has a reputation of being enjoyable to work with.
Humbleness is but one quality behind Pichai’s influence
Pichai’s humble roots are but one reason behind his meteoric rise as the CEO of a trillion-dollar company.
Although he joined Google as the VP of Google toolbar, he had the foresight to see the end of the toolbar before anyone else. This led him to pitch for Google Chrome in 2006, which is now the most used web browser in the world.
After Android hit the 1 billion devices mark, he recognized the need to bring ‘next 5 billion’ users online using low-cost devices. Google has also expanded its range of hardware devices under his leadership – from smart home products like speakers, to the premium Pixel range of smartphones.
Pichai’s US story and the rise at Google
Pichai was born in the small town of Madurai in Tamil Nadu. He left for the US on a student visa to join Stanford University. After completing his education, he landed a job at McKinsey & Co.
In 2004, he joined Google to lead the product management on Google Toolbar and subsequently Google Chrome, the most used web browser in the world. He rose through the ranks, leading several important products like Android, Gmail, Maps and Drive.
AdvertisementHe was announced as the company’s CEO in 2015. In 2019, he became the CEO of Alphabet, Google’s parent company.
PM Modi interacts with Sundar Pichai on tech, work culture
Google will invest $10 billion in India, as CEO Sundar Pichai says India will lead the next wave of innovation
Sundar Pichai, Satya Nadella, Indra Nooyi and even Melania Trump entered the US on the same H-1B visa that Donald Trump's suspending
Popular on BI
- DBS Bank’s custom financing leads the way for companies trying to reach net-zero goals
- Republic Day 2022 – Here is a list of wishes and messages you can send to your fellow citizens
- The world's 5 richest tech tycoons — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates — have already lost about $85 billion this year amid a brutal market sell-off
- OpenSea is returning the millions users lost due to a bug
- Indian crypto exchanges, influencers fall prey to hacks promoting crypto scam
- OPINION: Tax consolidation schemes is the need of the hour for India’s renewable energy sector
- Brands celebrate Republic Day with patriotic fervour
- Air India's new policy on pre-flight weight checks is not going well with its staff