Sundar Pichai gets a spot in Time's 2020 'influential' list and generous praise from Jamie Dimon
Alphabetand Google CEO Sundar Pichaihas been named as one of the most influential people in TIME magazine’s 2020 list.
- Born in India’s Madurai, Pichai rose through the ranks in
JPMorgan Chase’s CEO Jamie Dimonshowered praise on Pichai, saying he ‘represents the best of what we aspire for our society’.
- Check out the latest news and updates on Business Insider.
AdvertisementAlphabet and Google CEO
Showering praise on Pichai, Dimon said, “Sundar Pichai’s uniquely American story—emigrating from India as a young adult and working his way to become CEO of a $1 trillion corporation—represents the best of what we aspire for our society.”
“The challenges Sundar faces in his role are among the most important of our time — issues of innovation, privacy, regulation and competition. But his analytical, humble and inclusive leadership will position Google to meet the moment,” he added.
Dimon is not alone in recognizing Pichai’s humbleness. The list includes Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, his peers at Microsoft, Salesforce, Twitter, LinkedIn have all hailed him.
His colleagues, too, have great things to say about him – everyone that Business Insider talked to about Pichai said he’s very empathetic and that he has a reputation of being enjoyable to work with.
Humbleness is but one quality behind Pichai’s influence
Pichai’s humble roots are but one reason behind his meteoric rise as the CEO of a trillion-dollar company.
Although he joined Google as the VP of Google toolbar, he had the foresight to see the end of the toolbar before anyone else. This led him to pitch for Google Chrome in 2006, which is now the most used web browser in the world.
After Android hit the 1 billion devices mark, he recognized the need to bring ‘next 5 billion’ users online using low-cost devices. Google has also expanded its range of hardware devices under his leadership – from smart home products like speakers, to the premium Pixel range of smartphones.
Pichai’s US story and the rise at Google
AdvertisementPichai was born in the small town of Madurai in Tamil Nadu. He left for the US on a student visa to join Stanford University. After completing his education, he landed a job at McKinsey & Co.
In 2004, he joined Google to lead the product management on Google Toolbar and subsequently Google Chrome, the most used web browser in the world. He rose through the ranks, leading several important products like Android, Gmail, Maps and Drive.
He was announced as the company’s CEO in 2015. In 2019, he became the CEO of Alphabet, Google’s parent company.
PM Modi interacts with Sundar Pichai on tech, work culture
Google will invest $10 billion in India, as CEO Sundar Pichai says India will lead the next wave of innovation
Sundar Pichai, Satya Nadella, Indra Nooyi and even Melania Trump entered the US on the same H-1B visa that Donald Trump's suspending
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- A second giant 'hole' has appeared on the sun, and it could send 1.8 million mph solar winds towards Earth
- We used ChatGPT to plan international trips - here’s a tour of the results!
- Flights could get bumpier as climate change makes air turbulence much more frequent
- A Swiggy user from Hyderabad spends Rs 6 lakh ordering idlis in a year
- Repo rate hike will slow down real estate, reverse post-Covid trends, says industry body to RBI
- Small stocks lag behind in FY23; take bigger hit than bluechip firms
- Tamil Nadu says 'nahi to dahi' over Hindi name on curd packets