21 signs you have a terrible boss
According to a survey commissioned by Lynn Taylor Consulting, a whopping 19.2 hours are wasted each week worrying about what a boss says or does - 13 of which occur during workweek, and 6.2 over the weekend.
"A bad boss will likely jeopardize your career growth and impact your personal life," says Lynn Taylor, a national workplace expert and the author of "Tame Your Terrible Office Tyrant: How to Manage Childish Boss Behavior and Thrive in Your Job." "A good manager will help you thrive and bring out the best in you. While it's rarely top of mind, you can empower yourself with a terrible boss, especially if you watch for red flags."
It's important to identify these signs early on, before you get too involved, especially if you spot them during the job interview. This way, you can decide if it's something you actually want to deal with (or you can figure out if you'll need to start looking for a new job).
Using the book "Bad Bosses, Crazy Coworkers & Other Office Idiots" by Vicky Oliver and an interview with Lynn Taylor, we've compiled 21 signs your boss will eventually crush all happiness you're clinging to - and steps you can take along the way.
Vivian Giang contributed to an earlier version of this article.
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- A second giant 'hole' has appeared on the sun, and it could send 1.8 million mph solar winds towards Earth
- We used ChatGPT to plan international trips - here’s a tour of the results!
- Mobile payments pioneer Paytm ‘deeply rooted in India’ — social media users hail Paytm’s QR strength that powers India’s small merchants
- US visa rules ease: Now H-1B visa holders' spouses can work in the US
- Centre gives full basic customs duty exemption on import of drugs for rare diseases
- Rev your engines: Honda Activa 125 2023 launched in India with new features and variants
- Ancient DNA is restoring the origin story of the Swahili people of the East African coast