Facebook reportedly fired a team involved in news stories - with an hour's notice
As part of the change, Facebook eliminated the jobs of the 15 to 18 contractors hired to write short descriptions of each Trending Topics item, reports Quartz.Those contractors reportedly only found out that their services at Facebook were no longer required at 4pm eastern time on Friday - the same time, more or less, that Facebook released a blog announcing the changes. Those contractors are said to have been given about six weeks' worth of severance pay and asked to leave the building by 5pm.
Facebook's Trending Topics has been the subject of a lot of scrutiny since the spring of 2016, when former Trending Topics editors claimed that they were purposely suppressing conservative leaning news items from appearing on the list.While Facebook's internal investigation found no evidence of wrongdoing, the company has still taken steps to remove any appearance of impropriety. Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- 'Democracy has prevailed' says Joe Biden as he takes oath as the 46th President of the United States
- PM Modi congratulates Joe Biden, says he looks forward to strengthen India-US partnership
- Democracy has prevailed, says US President Joe Biden in his first speech. PTI ZH AKJ ZH ZH
- Joe Biden takes oath as 46th US President amidst unprecedented security. PTI ZH AKJ ZH ZH
- Kamala Devi Harris creates history as she takes oath as Vice President of USA