More people already want Apple AirPods than the Apple Watch
Apple's newest product category is wireless headphones, and although the AirPods have yet to go on sale, there are some signs that it could find a very receptive consumer base.
12% of U.S. consumers surveyed by Bank of America Merrill Lynch say they intend to purchase AirPods, apparently on the strength of Apple's marketing, given that few people have actually seen and tried them out.
This is a very bullish sign for Apple, says BAML. "12% of the US installed base could lead to up to an incremental $3bn in revenue," writes the analysts.
Here's the chart:
Reasons why some consumers might not decide to opt for Apple's $159 earbuds include that they believe their current headphones are good enough (56% of respondents) and that they're too expensive (40% of respondents.)
Compare this buzz to Apple's other big wearable launch in the last two years, the Apple Watch. Apple recently subtly updated the device, dubbing the new version "Watch Series 2." But the upgrade doesn't seem to have generated as much demand as the AirPods.
"Only a small portion of respondents own the Watch Series 1 and only 8% of respondents intend to buy the Watch Series 2," the analysts wrote in a note distributed to clients.
Here's the breakdown:
Apple has never broken out its Apple Watch sales or revenue, leaving analysts and investors to guess. The Wall Street Journal estimated that Apple's smartwatch business tallied $6 billion in its first year. For the last quarter that estimates are available, Apple sold 1.6 million Apple Watches, down 56.7% from the same period in 2015, according to an IDC estimate.
Perhaps Apple's top brass in Cupertino should focus its wearable attention on its new headphones.
- I bought a car wash at 22 years old. It basically runs itself — and I make $5,500 in passive income each month.
- Companies say Elon Musk's plan to charge $1,000 for month for Twitter checkmarks is 'outlandish' and makes them 'meaningless'
- A lawyer who quit to become an OnlyFans performer says she now makes more money and is happier
- Sennheiser Profile USB Streaming Set review: The go-to microphone for those starting their streaming or podcasting journey
- LIC to Wipro and Vodafone Idea: Stocks which hit a new 52-week low today
- Project Tiger to complete 50 years of tiger conservation next month
- Early-stage startups keen on hiring for mid and junior roles, says a FICCI survey
- SEBI recovers dues worth ₹6.57 crore from Sahara Group firms, Subrata Roy & others