The 10 most important things in the world right now
1. It appears as if Republican Donald Trump has secured the 270 electoral votes necessary for the US presidency . His Democratic rival Hillary Clinton won't be attending her Manhattan victory party, but has reportedly called Trump to concede.
2. Republicans maintained control of the US Senate on Election Day , and will maintain control of the House of Representatives.3. Financial markets are cratering as Donald Trump closes in on a massive upset victory in the US presidential election . US and European stock futures and benchmarks in Asia are sliding.
4. The Mexican peso crashed to a record low . The currency was down by about 13.0% at20.6879 per US dollar.
5. The Government of Canada's immigration website crashed on Tuesday night as the US election results were rolling in . The top story on Business Insider has been " How to move to Canada and become a Canadian citizen ."
6. Gold is skyrocketing as Donald Trump closes in on the US presidency . The precious metal is up just over $52 an ounce at $1,326 an ounce.
7. Mexico's worst nightmare is suddenly in play, and it's trying to prepare . Mexico's central-bank chief has said a Trump win would hit the country like a "hurricane."
8. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said he was creating civilian units to back troops monitoring food production and distribution in the crisis-wracked country . The embattled president has had the military protecting the mainly centrally planned economy's food distribution system, which is hobbled by theft and black marketeering.9. A r ising suicide toll rings alarm bells in Tunisia . Six years since a young Tunisian stallholder set himself on fire, his country's suicide rate is surging over economic and social woes.
10. Voters in California passed a ballot initiative on Election Day to legalize marijuana for recreational use , ending the prohibition on pot in the Golden State.
And finally ...