- Fast-food chains have a bad reputation when it comes to keeping restaurants clean.
- Business Insider asked more than 3,000 people who read our fast-food coverage which chains have the cleanest locations.
- Chick-fil-A, In-N-Out, and Starbucks topped the list.
- Read on to see which eight chains customers say have the cleanest restaurants in America.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
No one wants to visit a fast-food chain with a grubby dining room and unknown germs lurking in the kitchen.
People across America are skeptical of many fast-food chains' abilities to meet basic standards of cleanliness. So, Business Insider asked more than 3,000 people who read our fast-food coverage which chains they believe have the cleanest restaurants.
To avoid penalizing smaller regional chains, we crunched the numbers to create a score based on the percentage of people who said they visited a chain in the last six months and who said the brand had the cleanest restaurants. While the data collection wasn't super scientific, it quickly revealed which fast-food chains customers believe to be the cleanest.
Few customers were willing to vouch for most fast-food giants' cleanliness. In the case of most chains - including McDonald's, Burger King, and Subway - fewer than 10% of respondents said that they believed the brand had the cleanest restaurants in the industry.
However, a handful of chains stood out. Here are the eight fast-food chains with the cleanest restaurants in the industry, according to customers.