Amazon is looking to hire 1,300 people in India, the most anywhere outside US
Amazonis hiring extensively to back its expansion plan in India
- Creating jobs will also help Amazon in its negotiations with the government
- Employees at Amazon India account for 10% of Amazon’s workforce globally.
Globally Amazon has 610,000 employees and at the end of 2018, 10% of them were directly employed with the company in India. Most of the vacancies in India are available in Bengaluru, Hyderabad, and Chennai.
Even if you’re looking outside the Asia-Pacific region, Germany is the only other country where Amazon has as many openings as India.
It’s not only Amazon expanding its e-commerce space that’s having an impact, but also Amazon’s expansion of AWS, its cloud business, to meet India’s data localisation norms and launch its own User Payments Interface (UPI)..
The localisation of its content on
Since localisation is the bearing for all of Amazon’s expansion plans in India, it only makes sense that they’ll need more people from the country to help with the change.
Reading between the lines
While the expansion plans may have a lot to do with why Amazon is diligently looking to hire in India, another possible explanation is that they’re looking to strengthen their case to keep operating without obstacles in India.
Generating new employment could help Amazon push its ongoing policy discussions with the Indian government, which is faced with a growing outrage over lack of employment opportunities.
Amazon and Flipkart are off the hook — You’ll still be able to buy the Amazon Echo and MarQ products online
AdvertisementIndia’s new e-commerce policy has rivals Flipkart and Amazon teaming up to counter the new directive — and the ‘Republic Day’ sale will probably be their last
The Indian government just dealt a serious surprise to Amazon and Flipkart — Here’s what that means for online shoppers
Popular on BI
- Flipkart claims to be the second biggest ‘buy now, pay later’ player ahead of Paytm, Amazon
- Avantha Group promoter denied interim bail on his arrest for alleged misuse of ₹515 crore loan
- Zoho's ManageEngine to hire 1,000 people this year as part of expansion plans
- Goa has the highest car ownership in India, check out the states with highest and lowest car ownership
- Vivo X80 Pro vs OnePlus 10 Pro: Price, specifications and features compared