Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi warns against complacency in the fight against COVID-19
PIB live webcast
- ‘We can’t weaken the fight against COVID-19 even a little bit until the vaccine is ready,’ Modi said in his special address on Oct 20.
- The government is preparing to ensure that the vaccine reaches every citizen as soon as it is ready, he added.
- The rise in COVID-19 cases in countries like America is very concerning.
“In other countries around the world, COVID-19 was under control but strangely cases began to surge again unexpectedly. This is turning into a worrisome situation. The fatality rate in India is 83 out of every 10 lakh population in India, whereas it is more than 600 in countries like the US, Brazil, Spain, Britain,” he said during his address to the nation.
He added that many countries around the world are currently working on a vaccine for COVID-19, including some that are in the advanced stage of trials. India too is working on its own vaccine.
AdvertisementAccording to Modi, whenever one is ready — the government is already working on a plan to ensure that the vaccine can reach each and every citizen. However, until then, he advised that nobody should let down their guard.
“Don’t count your chickens before they hatch,” he warned.
According to the Ministry of Health, the number of new coronavirus cases per day in India dipped below 50,000 for the first time in three months on October 19. However, 10 states accounted for 75% of the new cases. Maharashtra, Karnataka and Kerala combined accounted for more than 5,000.
EXCLUSIVE: Amazon AI executive explains three things every business needs to address before using machine learning
Nokia is set to build the first 4G network on the Moon for NASA — it will eventually be upgraded to 5G
The Moon photobombs NASA's view of the Sun
Wipro wins five-year contract with Europe’s third-largest producer of clean electricity
- BMC to provide free masks and collect ₹200 fine from people flouting the rules in Mumbai
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) is now amalgamated with DBS Bank India – fund infusion of ₹2,500 crore to follow
- Delhi CM Kejriwal directs private labs to reduce price of RT-PCR tests for COVID-19
- ZEE5 partners with XroadMedia to ramp up its hyper-personalized Video on Demand and social media services
- Rajinikanth to announce decision on active political plunge soon