What is social distancing and how can you practice it?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his address to the nation urged everyone to stay home and practice
social distancing. He also announced a 21-day lockdown.
- Social distancing measures are taken to restrict when and where people can gather to stop or slow the spread of infectious diseases.
- People need to work from home, schools and colleges have to be shut – cities must come to a halt except for essential supplies.
‘Social distancing’ is the most important term right now as the world is in the throes of a Coronavirus pandemic. Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his address to the nation today urged everyone to stay home and practice social distancing. He also announced a 21-day nationwide lockdown.
“If we do not adhere to the 21 day lockdown, the next 21 years will be affected. And many families will be destroyed,” he said insisting that even he himself practices social distancing.
“My request to you is to stay wherever you are right now in the country,” he said.
Modi said that this practice of social distancing is to save India’s citizens. “WHO says that a single person can spread this pandemic to hundreds of people and can spread as fast as fire,” Modi said today.
So what does social distancing really mean?
Social distancing measures are taken to restrict when and where people can gather to stop or slowdown the spread of infectious diseases.
With social distancing one must isolate themselves and avoid public places completely. With social distancing in place, if one has to interact with another person they must maintain a 6-feet distance between them. While this does not avoid the spread of the virus, it lowers the chances of getting the virus.
This includes that people need to work from home, schools and colleges have to be shut – cities must come to a halt except for essential supplies. Events or social gatherings should be cancelled. “All commercial activities must keep a distance of one meter between customers.
AdvertisementThey should take measures to reduce peak hour crowding in markets,” says the official statement from the government.
With social distancing, local authorities in India have been asked to have a dialogue with religious leaders to regulate mass gatherings and should ensure no overcrowding or at least maintain one metre distance between people.
Most states suspended all religious gatherings.
If anyone around you has been reported to have been tested positive for Coronavirus, ensure that you self quarantine yourself. Once you notice any symptoms, head to a verified Covid-19 hospital in your city.
“Social distancing and staying indoors is the only way to beat this pandemic. There is no other way to escape this,” said Modi in his speech.
Modi also urged people to not step out of their homes at all, while states will work towards ensuring that essential supplies are available. States like Maharashtra, Telangana have already put in place a curfew given the rising number of cases in the country.
Prime Minister Modi declares 21-day nationwide lockdown starting midnight
Popular on BI
- Budget 2023: Funding support, liberal tax regime and other things fintechs expect from the government
- Instagram tops the list of most downloaded applications in Q4, 2022
- CARS24 now says will hire over 500 after layoffs
- Coal India to produce sand using overburden rocks; likely to begin ops at 5 plants by next year
- Rupee rises 8 paise to end at 81.53 against US dollar