Complete list of BJP Member of Parliament with criminal cases or convictions
- A bench of Justices R F Nariman and S Ravindra Bhat ordered that it is mandatory for political parties to upload criminal past of candidates.
- India recorded an increase of 44% in the number of MPs with declared criminal cases since 2019.
A bench of Justices R F Nariman and S Ravindra Bhat ordered that it is mandatory for political parties to give justification for not choosing a candidate with a clean image and giving tickets to a candidate with a criminal past, instead. They further said the reasons must include details like a candidate’s qualifications, achievements, and other merit work.
“Political parties must put all the information in public domain about a candidate within 48 hours after clearing the name and the party must also submit a report regarding publication within 24 hours after the nomination of the candidate,” read the Supreme Court order. The parties will be liable for contempt if they fail to comply with the rules, said the top court.
The Election Commission can file a contempt petition in courts if the party fails to follow the order.
India recorded an increase of 44% in the number of MPs with declared criminal cases since 2019. In Lok Sabha election 2019, as many as 233 (about 43%) out of 539 winners declared criminal cases against themselves.
List of BJP sitting MPs with criminal background:
|Ajay Nishad||Muzaffarpur||3 charges|
|Anurag Singh Thakur||Hamirpur||13 charges|
|Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur||Bhopal||1|
|Chhatar Singh Darbar||Dhar||1|
|Horen Singh Bey||Autonomous District||2|
|Sri Nisith Pramanik||Cooch Behar||11|
|Manoj Kishorbhai Kotak||Mumbai North East||2|
|Arun Kumar Sagar||Shahjahanpur||1 Charge|
|10. Rajbahadur Singh||Sagar||1|
|Ashok Kumar Yadav||Madhubani||14 charges|
|Ashwini Kumar Choubey||Buxar||17 charges|
|Bhanu Pratap Singh Verma||Jalau||1|
|Bidyut Baran Mahato||Jamshedpur||3|
|Brij Bhushan Sharam Singh||Kaiser Ganj||3|
|Chattar Singh Darbar||Dhar||1|
|Dilip Kumar Ghosh||Medinipur||14|
|Gautam Gambhir||East Delhi||1|
|Harish Chandra Alias Harish Dwivedi||Basti||5|
|Janardan Singh Sigriwal||Maharajganj||5|
|Jyotirmay Singh Mahato||Purlia||2|
|Keshari Devi Patel||Phulpur||2|
|Kunwar Pushpendra Singh||Hamirpur||4|
|Narendra Singh Tomar||Morena||1|
- Kerala govt makes compulsory for public to follow COVID-19 norms till 2021
- Jharkhand reports 53 new cases of COVID-19, 1 more death
- COVID-19: Delhi govt orders compulsory rapid antigen detection test for high-risk individuals
- 3 hotels serving as COVID care facilities in Delhi delinked from hospitals over low occupancy
- K'taka govt sets up helpline for complaints on hospitals deying COVID-19 treatment