Complete list of BJP Member of Parliament with criminal cases or convictions
- A bench of Justices R F Nariman and S Ravindra Bhat ordered that it is mandatory for political parties to upload criminal past of candidates.
- India recorded an increase of 44% in the number of MPs with declared criminal cases since 2019.
AdvertisementThe Supreme Court of India today ordered all the political parties to upload credentials, achievements and criminal antecedents of their candidates on their website. It also asked them to specify the reasons behind their selection.
A bench of Justices R F Nariman and S Ravindra Bhat ordered that it is mandatory for political parties to give justification for not choosing a candidate with a clean image and giving tickets to a candidate with a criminal past, instead. They further said the reasons must include details like a candidate’s qualifications, achievements, and other merit work.
“Political parties must put all the information in public domain about a candidate within 48 hours after clearing the name and the party must also submit a report regarding publication within 24 hours after the nomination of the candidate,” read the Supreme Court order. The parties will be liable for contempt if they fail to comply with the rules, said the top court.
The Election Commission can file a contempt petition in courts if the party fails to follow the order.
India recorded an increase of 44% in the number of MPs with declared criminal cases since 2019. In Lok Sabha election 2019, as many as 233 (about 43%) out of 539 winners declared criminal cases against themselves.
List of BJP sitting MPs with criminal background:
|Ajay Nishad||Muzaffarpur||3 charges|
|Anurag Singh Thakur||Hamirpur||13 charges|
|Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur||Bhopal||1|
|Chhatar Singh Darbar||Dhar||1|
|Horen Singh Bey||Autonomous District||2|
|Sri Nisith Pramanik||Cooch Behar||11|
|Manoj Kishorbhai Kotak||Mumbai North East||2|
|Arun Kumar Sagar||Shahjahanpur||1 Charge|
|10. Rajbahadur Singh||Sagar||1|
|Ashok Kumar Yadav||Madhubani||14 charges|
|Ashwini Kumar Choubey||Buxar||17 charges|
|Bhanu Pratap Singh Verma||Jalau||1|
|Bidyut Baran Mahato||Jamshedpur||3|
|Brij Bhushan Sharam Singh||Kaiser Ganj||3|
|Chattar Singh Darbar||Dhar||1|
|Dilip Kumar Ghosh||Medinipur||14|
|Gautam Gambhir||East Delhi||1|
|Harish Chandra Alias Harish Dwivedi||Basti||5|
|Janardan Singh Sigriwal||Maharajganj||5|
|Jyotirmay Singh Mahato||Purlia||2|
|Keshari Devi Patel||Phulpur||2|
|Kunwar Pushpendra Singh||Hamirpur||4|
|Narendra Singh Tomar||Morena||1|
Popular on BI
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu