Ryan Reynolds posted a photo of himself getting a COVID-19 vaccine, and made a dig at anti-vax conspiracy theorists
- Ryan Reynolds tweeted a picture getting the coronavirus vaccine.
- "Finally got 5G," he wrote, tongue in cheek.
- Reynolds and his wife, Blake Lively, donated to hospitals and food banks early in the pandemic.
Actor Ryan Reynolds appears to be at least half-vaxxed, according to a tweet he posted Wednesday morning.
-Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds) March 31, 2021
"Finally got 5G," he wrote in the caption, poking fun at conspiracy theorists who falsely believe high-speed internet causes cancer, and anti-vaxxers who falsely believe the vaccine contains a microchip.
The 5G conspiracy theory has been gaining steam for years, but has become increasingly popular during the pandemic.
In general, believers say 5G, the next generation of cellular infrastructure, produces harmful radiation that hurts human health. As Business Insider's Isabella Jibilian wrote, unsupported theories include the false belief that the technology damages trees, weakens the immune system, or is being used by Bill Gates brainwash Americans.
During the pandemic, some social media posts falsely claimed that COVID-19 is a cover-up for 5G-related ailments and 5G fueled the virus's spread. The COVID-19 vaccine has been targeted by 5G conspiracy theorists too, with false rumors claiming it contains a "hidden" microchip.
Reynolds' simple post seems to get at the ridiculousness of it all. With more than 17 million Twitter followers, he can help undermine these false claims.
Early in the pandemic, Reynolds and his wife, actress Blake Lively, donated $1 million to Feeding America and Food Banks Canada. "Take care of your bodies and hearts. Leave room for joy," the Canadian "Deadpool" star wrote when announcing the donation last March. "Call someone who's isolated and might need connection."
According to "E! News," the couple also donated $100,000 to each of the four New York hospitals that were hit hardest.
- Retail auto sales grow 11% in September, but still below pre-Covid levels, says FADA
- Slow recovery of low income households slowed down India's economic recovery: Kotak report
- Best cars under ₹20 lakh to buy this festive season
- India saw 20.5 billion online transactions worth ₹36 trillion in Q2: report
- Nobel prize winner Svante Paabo's DNA discoveries offer clues as to what makes us human