10 things in tech you need to know today
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Wednesday. Sign up here to get this email in your inbox every morning.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching "Business Insider" in your flash briefing settings.
- Exclusive: GitHub employees are up in arms over the firing of a Jewish employee. The former employee said he was reprimanded by HR for his message to an internal Slack channel on the day of the Capitol siege: "stay safe homies, Nazis are about," with a sad emoji.
- Parler found a new hosting service. Parler registered its domain with Epik, a company known for hosting other far-right websites including Gab, after being booted from AWS.
- Facebook staffers were instructed not to wear branded clothing. The move, reported by The Information, comes after Facebook indefinitely suspended President Trump from its platform, and coincides with threats against tech firms and their employees.
- Sheryl Sandberg said the US Capitol siege was not planned on Facebook. However, experts who study extremism said Facebook was "indirectly involved" in the insurrection for allowing misinformation and violent speech to spread on social media.
- An ex-Alibaba driver set himself alight. A delivery driver set himself on fire following a pay dispute with a partner of Alibaba subsidiary Ele.me, The Financial Times reported Tuesday.
- Rumble sued Google for $2 billion. Rumble is a YouTube competitor popular with conservative users, and claimed Google misused its dominance in search to prioritize YouTube videos over its own.
- YouTube limited Trump's account. The president has had some content removed, and can't post new videos for at least a week.
- Tim Cook says Trump needs to be held accountable for the riots. Cook told CBS that "no one is above the law" and that anyone who played a part should be held accountable.
- Samsung's robot butler pours wine and does laundry. Bot Handy is a one-handed robot that can do chores around the home, and was demoed at the annual tech hoop-la that is CES.
- Exclusive: Inside Google's war with workers. We spoke to current and former workers about why Googlers are forming one of the first "white-collar unions."
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Rajinikanth issues public notice on infringement of rights, warns legal action
- Govt likely to float global tender for HPV vaccine in April; Merck, Serum Institute may participate
- Finance Ministry to stick to privatisation of already announced CPSEs next fiscal
- 70-plus Indian startups show exit door to 21K techies, more pink slips coming
- Steps taken in subsidence-hit Joshimath inadequate, declare Himalayas eco-sensitive zone, say experts