Exclusive: The full list of nominees for the Shorty Awards, including Jeffree Star, Sophie Turner, and Baby Yoda Sipping Tea
- The Shorty Awards honor the best of social media, from people to organizations, and this year's list of nominees includes YouTube influencer Jeffree Star, actress Sophie Turner, and the internet's favorite GIFs, like Baby Yoda Sipping Tea.
- New to this year's nominees: TikTok creators are nominated for categories other than "TikTokker of the Year," which shows the rise of the platform.
- Check out the full list of nominees for the 12th annual Shorty Awards, which will be presented May 3 in New York City at 1515 Broadway Theater.
- Click here for more BI Prime stories.
The nominees list for the 12th annual Shorty Awards is officially out.
The Shorty Awards honor the best of social media, from people to organizations. This year's list of nominees include YouTube sensation Jeffree Star (17 million subscribers), Game of Thrones actress Sophie Turner, and the Baby Yoda Sipping Tea GIF.
New to this year's list: There are several TikTok stars nominated within categories like Food & Drink, Meme of the Year, Weird, and Beauty. This is the first year TikTok creators are nominated in categories other than "TikTokker of the Year," which is due to the number of viral trends, challenges, and crazes that spawned from TikTok and dominated social media in 2019.
The finalists are determined both by rankings from The Real Time Academy and public votes. Fans can vote online, once a day, per influencer, on the Shorty Awards website, and they can add an additional vote by sharing on Twitter and Facebook through the site, until voting closes.
The 12th Annual Shorty Awards will be held in New York City at 1515 Broadway Theater, and will be presented May 3, with live-streaming coverage at ShortyAwards.com.
Here are the 2020 Shorty Award nominees:
For more on the nominees, check out these posts on Business Insider Prime:
- YouTube creator Jennelle Eliana has posted only 3 videos and already has 1.5 million subscribers. She told us how it happened.
- How YouTube star MrBeast, who has 22 million subscribers, uses keywords and the 'shock and awe' effect to maximize views.