The prices of Disney+ and Hulu are increasing — here's how much each plan is going up
- Disney+ and Hulu are getting price hikes in the coming months.
- An ad-supported Disney+ plan launches in December for the same price as the current ad-free plan.
Disney+ subscribers will soon be paying more — unless they're willing to switch to a new tier with ads.
Disney announced Wednesday that Disney+'s ad-supported plan, called Disney+ Basis, will launch December 8 and will cost the same amount a month as the current ad-free version. The ad-free plan, which it's calling Disney+ Premium, will get a $3 price hike at that time.
Hulu, which Disney also operates, will also cost more starting October 10.
Here's how much each plan will cost a month:
- Disney+ Premium (no ads) — $10.99 (from $7.99)
- Disney+ Basic (with ads) — $7.99
- Hulu without ads — $14.99 (from $12.99)
- Hulu with ads — $7.99 (from $6.99)
Here's how the Disney bundle will break down in price a month:
- Basic (with ads): Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+: $12.99 a month
- Legacy (existing subscribers): Disney+ (without ads), Hulu (with ads), ESPN+ (with ads): $14.99
- Premium: Disney+ (without ads), Hulu (without ads), ESPN+ (with ads): $19.99
Disney said in its earnings report Wednesday that Disney+ added 14.4 million subscribers in the company's fiscal third quarter, bringing the total number of Disney+ subscribers to 152 million. Disney says its streaming subscribers across all of its platforms (Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+) now number 221 million, surpassing Netflix's latest subscriber numbers of just over 220 million.
But Disney did lower its 2024 forecast for Disney+ during its earnings call. Disney had previously forecast gaining 230 million to 260 million subscribers for Disney+ by 2024 but is now projecting 215 million to 245 million.
The company's stock was up 6% in after-hours trading.
- An American tourist in Seoul said he sprayed graffiti in 155 places to raise awareness about teeth grinding
- X could lose $75 million in ad revenue after a litany of controversies from Elon Musk, including his endorsement of antisemitic comments, report says
- The S&P 500 will trade near its all-time high before a recession drags it down again in a topsy-turvy 2024, Société Générale says
- The Sharing Economy
- Jubilant Foodworks plans to acquire additional 51.16% stake in DP Eurasia for up to Rs 670 cr
- Car prices set to rise in January – Should you buy one in December?
- The Sharing Economy
- Credit metrics of India Inc. to improve in October-December quarter: ICRA