The US government opened an official investigation into Tesla letting people play video games while driving
- The National Highway Traffic
SafetyAdministration opened a probeinto Tesla's "Passenger Play" feature.
- "Passenger Play" allows drivers to play
video gameson the cars' touchscreens while in motion.
Tesla is under
A document published to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (
"This functionality, referred to as 'Passenger Play,' may distract the driver and increase the risk of a crash," the agency said in the document.
The NHTSA said it confirmed that this functionality has been available to drivers since December 2020. "Prior to this time, gameplay was enabled only when the vehicle was in Park," it said.
The New York Times spoke to a Tesla Model 3 owner in December who said he'd discovered he was able to play games including solitaire on his car's touchscreen while driving. The driver said he'd also seen people on YouTube driving while playing games in Teslas.
"I'm astonished. To me, it just seems inherently dangerous," he told The Times.
The NHTSA said it was in talks with Tesla about the feature the next day.
In Tuesday's document announcing the official probe, the NHTSA said the feature could be dangerous.
Tesla did not immediately respond when contacted by Insider about the NHTSA investigation.
The agency also opened an investigation into Tesla in August over the safety of its driver-assistance Autopilot feature, following 12 reports of Teslas on Autopilot crashing into emergency vehicles.
- An American tourist in Seoul said he sprayed graffiti in 155 places to raise awareness about teeth grinding
- X could lose $75 million in ad revenue after a litany of controversies from Elon Musk, including his endorsement of antisemitic comments, report says
- The S&P 500 will trade near its all-time high before a recession drags it down again in a topsy-turvy 2024, Société Générale says
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi
- Samsung launches new smartphone with 50 MP camera in India
- Unveiling the sweet side of corn: 7 mouthwatering recipes