These $26 million robotic dolphins are coming to a Chinese aquarium soon and they look exactly like the real thing
- New Zealand company Edge Innovations developed animatronic dolphins to be used in aquariums.
- The robots are remote controlled and could be used in place of captive dolphins.
- One dolphin robot could cost $26 million.
Aquariums could soon be home to animatronic dolphins, and visitors might not even know the difference right away.
Edge Innovations, a company in New Zealand, is combining
Robotic dolphins aren't cheap — they will likely run about $26 million each, according to The Guardian. Edge Innovation claims that they will last longer, and they don't have the same maintenance requirements as large ocean mammals. The animatronics will be "sustainable, safe, and profitable" according to promotional materials.
Not only will these robots provide a more humane way to have the experience of interacting with sea creatures, the company sees a future for the animatronics beyond aquariums. Edge Innovation's website suggests hotels, cruises, malls, and museums as other potential venues, and they don't plan to just stop with dolphins. The website mentions great white sharks and sea dragons as other options in the future.The animatronic dolphins are shockingly realistic, and could easily be mistaken for the real thing. They weigh nearly 600 pounds each. In fact, making them indistinguishable from real dolphins was one of the conditions for investment in the project. An audience was unable to recognize that they were robotic, according to the Guardian.
The robots are remote-controlled and can last up to ten hours on a single charge. They're being developed for a new aquarium in China, although they could eventually show up in all other kinds of settings.
- OPPO A74 smartphone with 5G support and 90Hz display to launch in India soon, to be priced under ₹20,000
- VCs say 10 unicorns in 4 months may seem too small by the end of this year
- Timelapse in Google Earth shows you the slow and scary demise of our only home in 3D
- Bhima Jewellery’s ‘Pure as love’ campaign is trending, and for all the right reasons
- Samsung Galaxy M42 5G to launch in India on April 28 – Specs, expected price and everything we know so far