Virgin Galactic plans to introduce 2 new spacecraft that are easier to maintain and turn around for daily flights
Virgin Galacticis offering new shares to raise $500 million to develop its spacefleet and spaceports.
- The CEO told the Financial Times the company faces hurdles following the successful flight with founder Richard Branson.
- There will be two more tests this year before commercial passenger flights begin in 2022.
Virgin Galactic is looking to raise $500 million in order to fund the development of its space fleet and expansion of its spaceports around the world, according to filings with the US Securities Exchange Commission.
The announcement came one day after founder Richard Branson successfully flew with a crew of company employees to the edge of space in the VSS Unity space plane.
But several short-term challenges remain before the
"I think for a while this is going to be a very supply-constrained business," said Michael Colglazier, who became CEO last year.
The company plans to complete two more test flights this year before it begins chipping away at the 600-person waiting list of commercial passenger ticket holders in 2022.
The sold tickets are worth a combined $80 million, according to filings, and another 1,000 people have placed $1,000 deposits toward the future purchase of tickets when sales reopen.
With room for just four passengers on the StarShipTwo space plane, Colglazier said Virgin Galactic plans to introduce two new craft that are easier to maintain and turnaround to support daily flights.
"I'm expecting high single-digit numbers to low double-digit numbers of spaceships [at each site] in order to kind of reach numbers like that," he said.
Colglazier also told the FT that the decision to move Branson's flight schedule forward - ahead of Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin flight next week - was motivated not by rivalry but by Branson's role in testing the customer experience.
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Google and Microsoft hiring interns in India — Check out eligibility, job descriptions and other details
- AWS appears to be down, and it's taken popular services like Ring smart-home systems, Netflix, and Disney+ with it
- With the metaverse, NFTs and DeFi on the rise, Ethereum miners rake in $2 billion in revenue — a jump of 11% over October
- Gen Bipin Rawat, his wife, and 11 others killed in chopper crash near Coonoor in Tamil Nadu
- RBI keeps lending rates intact, remains accommodative
- India remains to be ranked as the fourth most powerful country as per Asia Power Index 2021
- Although Shriram Properties has solid future prospects, Omicron may mess things in the near term