This chart shows how far away virtual reality still is from reaching the mass-market
The Oculus Rift virtual reality headset launched on Monday, but many game developers believe it could take as much as 15 more years before the gadgets are widely adopted by mainstream consumers.
According to a survey by the Game Developers Conference, charted for us by BI Intelligence, many developers don't see virtual reality and augment reality devices reaching 40% household adoption - the penetration rate of gaming consoles in North America - until after 2030.Given many advances in consumer technology first started by hardware and software developed by the gaming community, the results could be a telling sign that VR/AR technology still has a long way to go to reach its full potential. But despite expectations of slow consumer adoption, developers and hardware manufacturers are flocking to the VR/AR field, BI Intelligence noted.
- Here’s how Indians are buying Tesla, Facebook, and Apple shares through brokerage startups
- Radio ad revenue for July-Sept quarter in 2020 was Rs 198.53 crore: TRAI
- YouTube starts rolling out hashtag landing pages— here’s how you can use it
- Do not panic when Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman reads out the revised estimates
- India records 14,545 new COVID-19 cases in last 24 hours