Today We'll Get A Good Sign About Whether The Economy Really Recovered
Yesterday we got a bunch of manufacturing data.
Today we get car sales.
Here's a preview, from Calculated Risk: "Light vehicle sales for May. The consensus is for light vehicle sales to increase to 16.1 million SAAR in May from 16.0 million in April (Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate)."
Car sales trend to track nicely with the job market. And more generally, cars are the kind of high-dollar purchase people only make when they're feeling good.
So if the economy is really starting to catch fire, as Spring comes, this is a big number to watch.
The manufacturers will be reporting their numbers all day, and we'll be carrying them.
Popular on BI
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock
- ISRO launches India's largest LVM3 rocket from Sriharikota
- RevFin targets financing 20 lakh electric vehicles in next 5 years
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder