Trump threatens to sue Facebook and Google and rails against big tech companies for being 'totally biased'
- President Donald Trump threatened Google and Facebook with potential lawsuits, and claimed Silicon Valley's tech giants are biased against Republicans, in an interview with Fox Business on Wednesday morning.
- "We should be suing Google and Facebook, which, perhaps we will," he said.
- Trump also claimed that tech companies are "trying to rig" the 2020 US presidential election.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump threatened to sue Google and Facebook on Wednesday morning during an interview with Fox Business News."We should be suing Google and Facebook and all that," he said. "Which, perhaps we will."Advertisement
Trump didn't specify why he believes the government should be suing Google and Facebook, but mentioned it in the context of fines the European Union has levied against companies like Apple and Google in recent months. Most recently, the EU fined Google $1.7 billion for its third breach of EU antitrust rules in three years.
Trump claimed that Google specifically is attempting to "rig" the 2020 US presidential election, calling Google "totally biased." He cited a congressional hearing on Tuesday where Senator Ted Cruz asked Google user experience director Maggie Stanphill about political bias at Google.
Additionally, Trump said that Twitter is stopping people from following his Twitter account."I will tell you, they make it very hard for people to join me on Twitter, and they make it very much harder for me to get out the message. It's incredible," he said, without citing evidence to support his claims.Trump suggested he would pick up "five times more followers" if he were a Democrat.Advertisement
This isn't the first time Trump has suggested that Twitter is stopping him from gaining new followers. In the past, he's accused Twitter of "constantly taking people off list" and making it "hard for people to sign on," apparently suggesting the company removes followers from his Twitter account and makes it hard for people to follow him.
You can check out the full clip from Fox Business right here.Get the latest Google stock price here.Advertisement
- Serum Institute to manufacture 200mn doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Happiest Mind Tech IPO makes Ashok Soota one of India’s richest – marks his debut on Hurun Rich List 2020
- ICMR now flags chances of Chinese 'Cat Que Virus' in India
- Mukesh Ambani added ₹90 crore per hour to his wealth in the last six months, says Hurun report
- From Byju Raveendran, Vijay Shekhar Sharma to Nithin Kamath and Udaan co-founders – Here are the richest entrepreneurs of India