Yahoo won't let users with ad blockers access their email
That's according to users on Twitter and Adblock Plus' website, who say they're being shown an error message when trying to access Yahoo Mail today on Google Chrome.
"Uh oh... We are unable to display Yahoo Mail. Please disable Ad Blocker to continue using Yahoo Mail," the message reads, according to a user on Adblock Plus' website.
PC World points out that even if you don't have an ad blocker installed, you can still call up the error message by adding ""reason=ADBLK_TRAP" to the end of the Yahoo Mail URL.
A Yahoo rep confirmed that the company is testing out a sort of lockout for ad blocker users, in a statement to Business Insider: "At Yahoo, we are continually developing and testing new product experiences. This is a test we're running for a small number of Yahoo Mail users in the U.S."
Yahoo Mail users on Twitter are not happy about the test:
"please disable ad blocker to continue using yahoo mail"how about no. do you want me to stop using yahoo mail?? cause this is a good start- Timmay (@RunLikeDeer) November 19, 2015
Former Yahoo designer Andrei Herasimchuk was among those voicing his discontent:
So @YahooMail has blocked my inbox for using an ad blocker. It was a good run, I guess. Goodbye! Hello Apple Mail, as much as I hate it.- Andrei Herasimchuk (@Trenti) November 19, 2015
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala
- Attractiveness of gold depends on US Fed's moves, say analysts
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company
- Meet the top Nifty50 performers in FY23