10 things in tech you need to know today
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
1. The EU is threatening to fine Google for violating antitrust regulations. Antitrust regulators plan to order Alphabet's Google to stop paying financial incentives to smartphone makers to pre-install Google Search exclusively on their devices.
2. Samsung's exploding phones are causing a nightmare for the company in China. The company is facing a growing backlash from Chinese customers and even the country's government after it refused to recall the phone there.
3. Google is gearing up for a whopper of an event. On October 4, the company is expected to announce several new hardware products, ranging from smartphones to speakers to a new intelligent router.
4. Apple owes $302 million (£233 million) for using patented security tech without permission. The money will go to VirnetX Holding Corp.
5. Impoverished people are risking their lives for your smartphone batteries. A major investigative report by the Washington Post reveals the abject conditions of workers in cobalt mines.
6. Facebook is testing Snapchat-like photo and video messages that disappear after 24 hours in its Messenger app. The test is called "Messenger Day."
7. Salesforce's huge annual conference, Dreamforce, is coming back to downtown San Francisco for the 14th time this week. Over 170,000 people are expected to attend.
8. Technology startups in Israel's holy city of Jerusalem need more venture capital money. That's according to an early stage investor in the city.
9. Funding Circle CEO says it's a 'golden age' for marketplace lending as revenue jumps 144%. Funding Circle is the UK's biggest marketplace lender, worth over $1 billion (£773 million).
10. A Yahoo insider believes the hackers could really have stolen over 1 billion accounts. Yahoo claims only 500 million accounts were stolen.
- A new Star Trek NFT is stored on the DNA of bacteria, and there are billions of copies already
- Best 2K ultrawide monitors for gaming and streaming
- Best budget smartphones for gaming
- Best gaming keyboards with macro keys
- Best ergonomic mice for long working hours