A Step Toward Digital India: 10 Crore Aadhaars Linked To Bank Accounts
AdvertisementIn what is being regarded as a major milestone in
If the person moves to another part of India, they can access these subsidies as the facility is portable across any bank in the country. Till date, 333 banks are live on this platform.
In order to link Aadhaar number to the bank account, one needs to provide a copy of their Aadhaar letter or their e-Aadhaar to the bank branch in which he/she holds the account. Once the account is seeded, it can be used by central government departments to transfer subsidies directly into this bank account.
And just by dialling *99*99# on their mobile phones, residents can check status of the Aadhaar-Bank account linkage. To avail this facility, which is provided by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), you need to pay Rs 1.50 per enquiry.
The Aadhaar identity platform is the largest biometric database in the world and serves users ranging from LPG consumers, MNREGA workers, PDS, remittance and scholarship beneficiaries, etc. – all using their Aadhaar number to avail benefits.
Till December 9, 2014, nearly eight crore transactions have been carried out through the Aadhaar Payment Bridge for various welfare programs of the BJP government, which amounted to Rs 5,151.51crore.
On Dec 12, 2014, issuance of Aadhaars crossed the Rs 72 crore-mark across the country.
(Image: The Economic Times)
Popular on BI
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Nykaa enters into a JV with Dubai-based fashion retailer Apparel Group
- Axis MF launches a Nasdaq 100 focused Fund of Fund
- RBI directs credit information companies to appoint internal ombudsman
- 5G could be India’s next growth engine, and a successful rollout hinges on telcos, govt policies
- Ambani family has been target of threats over the years