Despite the disastrous Fire Phone, Amazon isn't giving up on hardware
David Ryder/Getty Images
In fact, its latest earnings release was so full of hardware device mentions, it would lead many to assume Amazon's main business is hardware.Take the first CEO comment in the earnings release, which is usually reserved for how well the company as a whole is doing. Instead, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos took the opportunity to advertise Amazon's Fire tablet:
Amazon doesn't break out the its sales on individual products, so we'll have no clue how many tablets, or hardware devices in general, it sold in the past quarter. But Amazon CFO Brian Olsavsky vaguely explained that its tablets are selling well during a press call held shortly after the earnings report was released."What I will say about devices is we're extremely excited about our roadmap. You've seen a lot of new products released in the last few months, new e-readers, Fire tablets, some prices as low as $50, Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Echo, Dash buttons, so the customers have responded really well. We're really excited about the response, we're going to be building millions more of the Fire tablets than we had originally planned," Olsavsky said.
Amazon also made sure it filled up the top portion of the "highlights" segment in its earnings release with its hardware business:
- Amazon introduced four new tablets, including Fire
- Amazon introduced three new Fire TV devices
- Amazon launched Fire TV and Fire TV Stick for Japanese customers
- Alexa, the brain behind Echo, continues to get smarter with new features
- Amazon Dash Button has received an overwhelmingly positive customer response and selection continues to grow
- Amazon announced Amazon Underground, a new app for Android phones
Regardless, Amazon will likely continue to pursue more hardware businesses down the road. Bezos' comments during an interview with Business Insider last year will give you a glimpse into his thinking:
"If you look at our device portfolio broadly, our hardware team is doing a great job. The Kindle is now on its seventh generation. The Kindle Voyage, the new premium product, is just completely killer. Fire TV, Fire TV Stick - we're having trouble building enough. Amazon Echo, which we just launched. So there's a lot of activity going on in our device business. With the phone, I just ask you to stay tuned.What really matters is, companies that don't continue to experiment, companies that don't embrace failure, they eventually get in a desperate position where the only thing they can do is a Hail Mary bet at the very end of their corporate existence."
Disclosure: Jeff Bezos is an investor in Business Insider through hispersonal investment company Bezos Expeditions.
- The decision not to have a kid is personal — but the social pressure against the choice is all-pervasive
- K'taka budget will focus on welfare of women & their development: CM
- Global consumer spending on apps to reach $270 billion annually by 2025
- Farmers announce series of Mahapanchayats in March
- Huawei aims to make electric cars later this year