EXCLUSIVE: Snapchat Users Are Sending 400 Million 'Snaps' Daily, Edging Past Facebook's Photo-Upload Volume
Snapchat users now send 400 million snaps daily, according to a source at Snapchat. To put this number in perspective, our sources at Facebook are still reporting that 350 million photos are uploaded daily worldwide on the network, and that Instagram users are uploading 55 million photos daily.
Note that Snapchat's 400 million number is for photo and video messages (and presumably counts all snaps of the same photo sent to multiple friends). But it's likely Snapchat beats Facebook on photo volume alone, too. Video wasn't introduced to Snapchat until December 2012, and the uploading and transmission of photo messages that disappear remains Snapchat's main function. Not to mention, Snapchat has a much smaller user base than Facebook. So as Snapchat grows larger, its heavy activity will probably cause it to shoot way ahead of Facebook on photo volume.
In September, Snapchat reported that its users were uploading 350 million snaps daily. In June, that number was 200 million.
* To continue reading our analysis, and to gain instant access to the charts and data for our exclusive Snapchat coverage, you'll need a free trial membership to BI Intelligence. Sign up >
In Other News …
Facebook is testing a new chat feature that shows whether a friend is online via the mobile or desktop version of Facebook. (TechCrunch)
An advertising executive told Ad Age that he struggles to think why any of his clients (which include McDonald's, Volkswagen, and Reebok) would be willing to "even pilot advertising on Snapchat." (AdAge)
Facebook is partnering with SportStream to organize all the conversations taking place around sports on the world's largest social network. (TechCrunch)
The New Yorker examines the increasing complexity of automated spambots on
Instagram is all about documenting life's memorable moments, but little did the app's founders know that users would begin imagining how historical moments would have been told via Instagram. Check out Histagrams >
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling