Jeff Bezos is one of few US top billionaires who hasn't signed the Giving Pledge. Here's how much the Amazon CEO has given to charity
- Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world, with an estimated net worth of $114 billion.
- Bezos' most recent - and biggest - donation was the launch of a $2 billion fund in September, but he's been criticized for not giving away more.
- The Amazon CEO is the only American among the world's five richest people who has not signed the the Giving Pledge, in which participants promise to give away more than half of their wealth during their lifetime or in their will.
- These are the donations Bezos is known to have made since becoming a billionaire in 1997.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Additional light was recently shed on Bezos' charitable donations after news that his ex-wife, MacKenzie Bezos, had signed the Giving Pledge, in which participants promise to give away more than half of their wealth during their lifetime or in their will.
Among the five richest people in America, Jeff Bezos - with a net worth of $114 billion - is the only one who hasn't signed onto the philanthropic commitment.
It's not clear why Bezos has avoided joining the Giving Pledge, an initiative started by Bill Gates and Warren Buffet almost a decade ago. His charitable history has "remained largely a mystery," the New York Times wrote in 2017 after Bezos posted a "request for ideas" for philanthropy on Twitter.
A nonprofit bearing Bezos's last name - the Bezos Family Foundation - has given millions of dollars to the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. However, the fund is run entirely by the Amazon CEO's parents, and reportedly hasn't received contributions from Jeff Bezos himself.
Additionally, Bezos had never appeared on the annual list of America's 50 largest donors - until 2018, when he took the top spot with the launch of a $2 billion fund for education programs for the homeless. Still, that donation reportedly represented only about 1.3% of his net worth at the time.
Here are all the major donations Jeff Bezos is known to have given to charity since becoming a billionaire in 1997:
August 2011: $10 million to the Museum of History & Industry, Seattle.
December 2011: $15 million to Princeton University's Neuroscience Institute.
July 2012: $2.5 million to Washington United for Marriage, a same-sex marriage advocacy group.
January 2013: $500,000 to Worldreader, a nonprofit for providing access to e-books and e-readers.
May 2016: $1 million pledge to match donations to Mary's Place, a homeless nonprofit in Seattle.
May 2017: $1 million to the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press,.
January 2018: $33 million to TheDream.us, a nonprofit funding college scholarships for immigrants.
September 2018: $10 million to With Honor, a PAC for electing military veterans.
September 2018: $2 billion Bezos Day One Fund launched to support education programs for homeless.
- How to use the realistic crying face filter on Snapchat
- Elon Musk praised Netflix for telling employees to quit if they couldn't work on content they disagreed with. He previously bashed the platform as having a 'woke mind virus.'
- The Terra LUNA crypto crash has sparked the debate on ‘true’ decentralisation
- Bharti Airtel's revenues soar by 22% year on year, net profit 165% in Q4FY22
- Volkswagen Virtus vs Skoda Slavia: Specifications and features compared
- LIC makes a weak debut on exchanges today: Here is what analysts have to say
- Top free iPhone and iPad games for all age groups
- Best phones under ₹50,000 in India