Hi! Welcome to the Insider
Today's news: Michelob Ultra's sales are soaring even as beer sales slide, the "
Michelob Ultra's sales have soared even as people ditch beer. Here's how the brand has catered to health-focused consumers in the pandemic.
- Tanya Dua reports that Michelob Ultra has grown market share and sales, even as beer sales have been sliding in recent years.
- She spoke with VP of
marketingRicardo Marques about the brand's positioning with active lifestyles. In 2020, Michelob Ultratapped celebrities for livestreams and engaged with NBA fans.
- But competition is heating up, and Michelob plans to compete by growing its portfolio and target audience.
- Dan Whateley reports that "Ratatouille: The TikTok Musical" earned over $1 million in ticket sales from its virtual New Year's Day stream.
- The musical started as a
TikToktrend and became a Broadway-scale online production featuring Tony-, Emmy- and Grammy-nominated performers like Wayne Brady, Tituss Burgess, André De Shields, and Ashley Park.
- Some proceeds from the virtual performance will go to The Actors Fund, a charity that supports performers and other entertainment workers who have been hit hard by theater closures during the coronavirus pandemic.
More than 200 Google employees have formed a union, and workers are calling it 'a long time coming' after years of turmoil inside the company
- Google employees are praising the announcement that more than 200 Google workers have formed a union.
- The union is meant to promote inclusivity and ethics at Google and will be open to all 120,000 Alphabet employees in the US and Canada.
- Raksha Muthukumar, a software engineer at Google, tweeted that the union came together because "it's time for tech workers to stand together & say we won't prop up a world made for the wealthy, the privileged, the white, the male, the heteronormative."
More stories we're reading:
- Inside JCPenney's 6-month bankruptcy saga: roller-coaster hearings, 'emotional distress,' and 60,000 jobs on the line (Business Insider)
- Leaked documents show how McDonald's plans to win the 2021 chicken-sandwich wars. Here's everything we know about the looming fast-food battle. (Business Insider)
- Sorrell enters post-Brexit era with S4 takeovers worth £150m (Sky News)
- From boots to coffee, podcast merch has become big business (The Wall Street Journal)
- The Cut find its new top editor at Teen Vogue (New York Times)
- The end of the Series A: While tech financing booms, DTC brands face a new reality (Digiday)