An Uber driver was stabbed to death in New York City, and the killer is still on the loose
Spencer Platt/Getty Images
- A 27-year-old Uber driver was stabbed to death in his car over the weekend, police said.
- No suspect has been arrested yet, and rewards were being offered for information leading to an arrest.
- The company said it was working with police in their investigation.
An Uber driver was stabbed to death while sitting in his car Saturday night in the Bronx, New York, according to local news reports.27-year-old Ganiou Gandonou was attacked inside his black Toyota Camry around 9 p.m., the New York Times reported. After bleeding heavily from his neck, he died at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, according to ABC7.
An Uber spokesperson said the company was working with law enforcement in their investigation."This is a horribly tragic incident and our hearts go out to the grieving family," an Uber spokesperson said. "We stand ready to work with law enforcement to assist their investigation in any way possible."
A local drivers group was offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to an arrest."We are horrified by the death of our fellow for-hire vehicle driver and our thoughts go out to his loved ones. We must continue to do more to protect the safety of for-hire drivers," the Independent Drivers Guild, which represents some 70,000 drivers for all ride-hailing companies in NYC, said."We call on anyone who may have witnessed the attack to contact the police so that the culprit may be brought to justice. The Independent Drivers Guild is offering a $3000 reward for any witness who can provide information that leads to the arrest of the killer and helps police bring them to justice."
The driver's wife, Latifatou Acimi, told the New York Post that her husband was a quiet man who worked hard to provide for her and their 2-year-old son.
"My husband was a very quiet man, a very hard-working man," Acimi said. "He always said, 'I'm working hard for my son so he doesn't have to.""I want to look that person in his face. I want to know the reason why he [did] it, because I know for sure he doesn't got any reason," she said of the killer. "He took the wrong person."
WANTED for a Homicide that occurred on 03/02/19 @ 9:08 PM infront of 4160 Hutchinson River Parkway East #theBronx @NYPD45Pct Have you seen him? Do you know him? ☎️ Call 800-577-TIPS or DM us! are ANONYMOUS! YOU CAN RECIVE UP TO $2500 REWARD! #YourCityYourCall @ABC7NY pic.twitter.com/ZXq8y3Kao8- NYPD Crime Stoppers (@NYPDTips) March 4, 2019
We hope there is swift justice for the for-hire vehicle driver that was killed this weekend, and that the perpetrator is quickly apprehended. Our deepest sympathies are with his family and community during this time. https://t.co/9aSbQ6qflC- NYC TLC (@nyctaxi) March 3, 2019
- RBI’s G-SAP 1.0 is certainly a much needed demand lever to support the government borrowing programme
- Elon Musk-owned internet service Starlink’s India entry under scrutiny of DoT, report suggests
- Air conditioner and cooling brand Voltas India eyes double digit growth this summer
- Gautam Adani and Mukesh Ambani cumulatively lost nearly $7 billion as the markets plunged
- Dr. Reddy’s, TCS, Bandhan Bank and other stocks to watch out for on April 13