As of Huawei's Mate 30 announcement, the Huawei app store has 3 popular apps worth downloading
Christof Stache / AFP / Getty
- Huawei's Mate 30 smartphones won't have access to Google's Play Store for the usual choice of apps that Android users outside of China are used to.
- Huawei's own app store only has three recognizable apps with mass appeal, including Amazon, TikTok, and Fortnite.
- Huawei didn't announce a release date for the Mate 30, and it called for developers to make apps for its app store with a $1 billion incentive program.
- There's a chance that a few big and popular apps could be made for Huawei's app store when the Mate 30 is released, but there's no guarantee.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Huawei's Mate 30 smartphones, which the company revealed on Thursday, won't have access to Google's Play Store, where Android users can find and download the apps they like to use.
The limitation comes as a result of the US government blacklisting Huawei, meaning US companies are banned from doing business with Huawei.
So, I had a look at Huawei's mobile AppGallery app store, the app store that Mate 30 buyers will have access to when the phone is released. Specifically, I saw the Huawei app store as if I was a user from the UK.
The choice of apps isn't looking too good.
I saw a few recognizable apps, but those with mass appeal only tallied a total of three, including Amazon, TikTok, and Fortnite. Recognizable apps included Booking.com and Aliexpress.
Of those apps I saw in Huawei's app store, I only have Amazon installed on my Android phone right now. So if I were to buy the Huawei Mate 30 smartphone in the UK, the only app I'd want from Huawei's app store is Amazon.
It's no wonder that Huawei hasn't set a release date for the Mate 30. Perhaps Huawei will manage to add a few more big and popular apps by the time it announces a release date.
Huawei did not reply to Business Insider's request for comment.
The company did, however, list the price tags for the Mate 30 phones:
- Huawei Mate 30: 700 Euros
- Huawei Mate 30 Pro: 1,100 Euros
Huawei also called for developers to make apps for its app store during its Mate 30 launch event with a $1 billion incentive program.
The Mate 30 smartphones have all the makings of great Android smartphones. They have powerful specs, multiple camera lenses, and a variety of great features. But without apps, none of that matters very much.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- All that you need to know if you are travelling to the UK
- Indian financial system steadily maturing, as it moves away from banks, says RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das
- Spotify set to overtake Apple Podcasts by the end of this year: eMarketer
- Bitcoin scammers used Apple's iPhone 13 reveal to steal $69,000 from fans
- Mirror, mirror on the wall; when will you stop judging us all: asks Taapsee Pannu in her latest ad with SUGAR Cosmetics