IRCTC shares on the edge waiting for the first lockdown earnings
- IRCTC is set to announce its fourth-quarterly results on July 10.
- This time due to the “outbreak of COVID-19, there has been a decrease in train journeys by the passengers due to restriction on public movement, which led to less number of ticket bookings during March 2020, resulting in a drop in e-ticketing earnings through convenience fee,” the company said.
The shares of the nearly $3 billion company have been trending down for a month now. The stock has lost about 9.28% in the last one month.
Investors aren’t very hopeful of the company’s immediate prospects after it intimated stock exchanges of the material impact of COVID-19 pandemic on its revenue.
The coronavirus crisis forced people to avoid unessential travel.
As a player in travel and hospitality sector, IRCTC's prospects are dim but being a monopoly means everything that's on the table belongs to it. That would explain the spectacular margins it earns in different segments.
*All these are gross margins, except in ticketing, which is operating margin
|Segment||Margin||Contribution to revenue|
Source: Prabhudas Lilladher
Analysts however see IRCTC as a good stock for the long term. “Despite near term challenges, we believe IRCTC is best placed to bounce back once COVID fear resides as structural levers remain intact... However, we would advise staggered buying and do not rule out near term weakness," a Prabhudas Lilladher report in April said, pegging a target price of ₹1,656, which would imply an 16% gain in the next one year compared to the share price on July 08.
SEE ALSO: IRCTC website crashes as it reopened for booking after 50 days — now, it will be open for bookings from 6 pm
TCS and Infosys to face least impact — Indian IT companies likely to report sharp decline in revenue during first quarter
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Chinese smartphone brands under scrutiny, government to check components, pre-installed apps: Report
- Jubilant FoodWorks slips 8% on weak store sales of Domino’s Pizza
- When Karisma Kapoor played Geet from Jab We Met for Dunzo Daily
- Indian employees to get the biggest salary hikes amongst Asia-Pacific countries next year
- Ola S1 and S1 Pro test rides to begin on November 10
- SUN Mobility raises $50 million from energy giant Vitol