Crazy and spooky stories from people who ventured into the secret websites of the internet
A popular thread on Reddit once asked the simple question, "What's your Deep Web story?" In other words, the Reddit user was asking people to share any weird experiences they had encountered while using anonymous web services to access secret websites.
Services like Tor, which mask a user's identity and let them browse the internet anonymously, give access to a slew of websites known as the Dark Web (or Deep Web). These sites won't work on a "normal" web browser like Google Chrome. Silk Road is the prototypical example of a Dark Web site, a now-closed black market for goods, whose notorious founder is now in prison.
Silk Road is closed, but what else is out there? Here are some of the bizarre and creepy things you can stumble on when accessing the dark underbellies of the web, as told by the people who actually experienced them.
The post is based on a previous post by Cale Guthrie Weissman.
- Here’s why Nasa scientists are sending microorganisms around the moon
- A new study documents first human-to-dog transmission of Monekypox virus in France
- Vedanta partners with IIT-B to develop green steel technology
- Balaji Speciality Chemicals files draft papers for IPO
- Abu Dhabi Investment Authority invests ₹665 crore in Aditya Birla Health Insurance